Deckertown Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Did it look like there was any potential for falls beyond the bridge? We've always turned back when we got to the bridge.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon Rebel T1i / Samsung S730

cbobcat49 wrote:Did it look like there was any potential for falls beyond the bridge? We've always turned back when we got to the bridge.

Oh most definitely. it looks like one long set of cascades. There are falls on the other side of the bridge that you can see on Google Earth. There's a dirt road going into a field on that side that looks like it might provide access to that part of the creek -- haven't checked landowner status yet. I had planned to scout that for signage yesterday while we were up there, but we were too pushed for time.
-----
spec
spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

I drove past that road/field today. a) Not a field - more like a hill. b) Posted signs on either side of the road. Didn't stop to look at them tho.
-----
spec
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I hiked above this one last fall... They path is crumbling. It wont last too much longer. Upstream past the bridge are more falls, but nothing photogenic. This place will finally get a write-up in the spring.
spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

Matt wrote:I hiked above this one last fall... They path is crumbling. It wont last too much longer. Upstream past the bridge are more falls, but nothing photogenic. This place will finally get a write-up in the spring.

As I mentioned in the Conklin Gully thread, if you need any help at all getting photos or gathering info or anything, just give a hollar in my direction. I live about an hour away from this area, and the drive is enjoyable (any drive is enjoyable to me, especially in the Finger Lakes! :) ) so it's not a problem at all for me to get out there on a day off.
-----
spec
spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

Went to Deckertown yesterday, Friday 4/23/10 with my new camera. I'm just beginning to learn what all the settings are about, so bear with me. I don't have a neutral density filter yet, so I did the best I could with the "silk" and stuck more to "action shots." Very bright sunny day. I only shot the lower three falls as I wanted to hit Hector Falls again too, and I was VERY pushed for time. Nonetheless, I had a blast, and I LOVE my new camera.

"Summary Shot" -- first and third falls:

First:

Second:

Third (two different shots, different settings)

spec
-----
spec
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I think the shots turned out well considering the lighting conditions. I need to finally get my few last photos (and now HD video) this spring.
spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

Matt wrote:I think the shots turned out well considering the lighting conditions. I need to finally get my few last photos (and now HD video) this spring.

I took some HD vid on Friday, just can't figure out where to post it. I tried youtube but it keeps cutting the quality waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down.

spec
-----
spec