Howe Caverns - Worth it?

Discuss local parks, preserves and lakes here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Mark J
Senior
Senior

Howe Caverns is so large and spacious that I would not expect it to trigger a claustrophobic reaction. There is one very cool serpentine section that is only shoulder width, by the guides give you ample warning about this narrow passage that can easily be bypassed. Howe Caverns could actually be the cure for your wife's claustrophobia, it is so spacious. It's actually a breaktaking environment, which should distract the senses from most phobias! It is an amazing experience to discover these subterranean worlds. I thought caves were dark and dirty. Howe Caverns is clean and very well let. It has paved walk ways, railings and darn near all the comforts of home!
Winnie
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D3100 & Canon A4000 IS

It has been many years since I was at Howe Caverns, There is another cavern up the road from it. I cannot remember it's name, but that is a really small tight spaced cavern compared to the roomier Howe Caverns. :D
Mark J
Senior
Senior

As noted in some earlier posts, there's obviously a link between caves, water and waterfalls. Most caves were made by flowing water, and some caves do have waterfalls in them -- Ruby Cave in Tennessee as noted in an earlier post, and Niagara Cave in Minnesota, http://www.niagaracave.com/default.asp, which I had the opportunity to visit in October, the same day I visited Mystery Cave, http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/ ... index.html. The name is "Niagara" is somewhat silly in this instance, as the waterfall is only 60' high. But it's still a significant waterfall, and the Niagara Cave itself is magnificent. Another cave/waterfall link for me is that if I can't find a waterfall to visit where I'm traveling, a cave can be a good alternative. A cave can also be a good foul weather alternative to a waterfall visit, provided you know that the cave is not prone to flooding. (Niagara Cave does flood, Ruby Cave claims to be "weatherproof.") Some features called caves were caused by falling rocks, not by water -- an example is Polar Caves here in New Hampshire, http://www.polarcaves.com/.

Now here is a trivia question, to see if we have any history buffs out there. Besides the aforementioned attachment of the name "Niagara" to the underground falls in in Harmony, Minnesota, what is the other historical link between Niagara Falls and Minnesota? Let's see who's the first to come up with an answer (without using Google!)
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Niagara Falls, NY is near Buffalo, NY... and I know there's a Buffalo, MN. (also a Rochester, MN)
Is that the link?
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

if only I wouldn't have stopped digging that hole in my parents backyard when I was little, I too would own one of these massive case tourist traps.
Mark J
Senior
Senior

RE: "Niagara Falls, NY is near Buffalo, NY... and I know there's a Buffalo, MN. (also a Rochester, MN)
Is that the link?"

That's not it, but you are on the right track by comparing place names. Btw, I've been to Rochester, MN at least a dozen times. There aren't any waterfalls there, which is why I went in search of caves instead, as mentioned in my posts about Niagara Cave and Mystery Cave. I was only in Rochester, NY once, and that was over 25 years ago when I didn't have a clue about waterfalls. At the time I thought the best thing in Rochester was Gennie Cream!

Let's see if anyone else has the answer to the historical connection among waterfalls, Niagara Falls and Minnesota. If not, I'll post the answer next week.
hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon 7D

I'm going to *attempt* to get up there next week or weekend if I can convince some people to go. But being I have someone who is into photographing new things like I am, I can probably convince him. :)

If I go, I'll post some info and photos and maybe video.
My photo blog: P.J.'s look at the world
My regular blog: A 'lil HooHaa
My flickr: HooHaa Photos

"Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast, you also miss the sense of where you are going and why." - Eddie Cantor
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I'm interested to know what there policy on tripods is.