Cohoes Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

wow... perfect timing on your part then. Great pics!
dwtruland
Rookie
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D

Nice shots. I have yet to be there when the bed is open. Unfortunately, when it is, there won't be much water anyway. As far as the other side of the river, it's posted and the steward calls the cops whenever he sees someone trespassing over there.
dwtruland
Rookie

I finally got onto the river bed today. Here are some pics plus one I promised in another thread of the 85 step stariway from hell.
Attachments
IMG_9821rs.jpg
IMG_9833rs.jpg
IMG_9844rs.jpg
IMG_9855rs.jpg
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Nice shots. I just love that stairway, the treads are just a bit too close to make single steps easy and too far apart to take two at a time. You definitely know it when you get to the top. Then, you have that winding path down the hill as well.
LGD
dwtruland
Rookie

Right. After the path, I usually collapse my tripod legs at the bottom of the stairs so it doesn't look like I need a rest. :)
Eddiebauer
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Canon 7d Canon Rebel xti

This is a great waterfall. I grew up in Cohoes and have climed the face with fishing pole in hand. Back when I was younger they didn't pass as much water over the falls in the summer. I now live in Waterford on the Northside of the falls, I can hear them from my house and walk there in about 2 minutes. The new lookout park is nice I wish they gave access at different times of the year. The spring runoff is very impressive but not as appealing in photos from an artistic point of view. The ice formations in winter are pretty amazing also but thats when the new park is closed. Atleast I can see from my side of the river.
Attachments
CohoesFalls_pano_s.jpg
IMG_1068s.jpg
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Nice to see a shot from the other side, I take it that's not normally accessible to the public?
LGD
Eddiebauer
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Canon 7d Canon Rebel xti

L_G_D wrote:Nice to see a shot from the other side, I take it that's not normally accessible to the public?
Its accessible to the public. Its a trail along the power lines owned by National Grid. It has some great views of the falls along with some views of the old mills. The trail is pretty long and some great possiblities for some wildlife shots. There is also a few spots if you are adventurous to get to the bottom of the falls from the Waterford side, therefor you don't need to wait for the new lookout park to have bottom access open. I live a two minute walk from the trail and would be happy to meet anyone for a stroll along the trail. Any day you could see an eagle or hawks and many other birds. If anyone is interested in a little more detail on how to get there let me know. I could tell you where to park and how to find the trail.