Cohoes Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Kelly, Brenda

Cohoes Falls

Postby tjconheady » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:40 pm

TJC

www.conheady.net...a cleaner, less biased, less censored, less-Matted forum
tjconheady
Board Expert
Board Expert

Camera Model: Canon Powershot S3

Advertisement

Postby Matt » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:15 pm

looks pretty wide.
I'm not looking forward to having to drive all over to shoot all of these. I'll add this one to the list when I get a chance. Thanks!
Matt
President
President

Camera Model: Olympus OMD Em-1; E-5
Challenge wins: :star:

Postby tjconheady » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:19 pm

i wish that i had the time during my last trip to boston, maybe next time...philly next month
TJC

www.conheady.net...a cleaner, less biased, less censored, less-Matted forum
tjconheady
Board Expert
Board Expert

Camera Model: Canon Powershot S3

Re: Cohoes Falls

Postby cbobcat49 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:01 am

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
cbobcat49

Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400
Challenge wins: :star1:

Postby Matt » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:21 pm

the second largest falls in New York State

hmm... must be based on a combination of things.
Matt
President
President

Postby cbobcat49 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:33 pm

water volume? That might make sense. (after Niagara)
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
cbobcat49

Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Postby L_G_D » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:16 pm

Saw this topic didn't have any pics, so I went there today to grab some. Got really lucky. Not only does the new park allow a better view of the falls than the old viewpoint did, they are rebuilding the hydro power plant so there is no water being diverted from the falls right now. Combined with the amount of rain we've had recently, it makes for a good thundering combination.

Here's the view from the old park, which has been greatly improved from what it used to be, but still has power lines, fences & trees in the way:

The new park is quite extensive, and has several viewpoints, this is the closest, but you look at the falls almost from the end, not head on:

There's almost no place you can see the falls without a fence in the way at some point, at least at this time. There will be a stairway that leads down from the lower viewing area to a flood plain where you can walk around, view the falls from river level, and go fishing. Unfortunately, the entire area was under a couple feet of fast moving water and the stairway was closed.

This is a close up shot of the middle of the falls from the main viewing area, I'll see how a panorama I did turned out, that has this level of detail.

The lowest viewing area is surrounded by fence, of course, so this is a shot taken holding the camera on the top rail of the fence, which is tall enough that I could just see through the view finder by standing on my toes.

LGD
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Postby champy1013 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:53 pm

nice - it's good to have someone from the ADK area now to get info on all the falls up there. With the amount they have, someone could start an entire website dedicated to just the adirondack section
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer

Camera Model: Canon EOS 7D (Canon EF-S 17-85mm, Sigma 10-20mm), Olympus E-300
Challenge wins: :star1: :star1: :star1:

Postby Matt » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:46 am

hmmm... maybe I should get out there this year.
Matt
President
President

Postby L_G_D » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:07 pm

If you're planning a trip to see these, I would say try sooner rather than later, because as soon as the power plant refit is done, I'm sure the water volume will be reduced greatly.

You can get an idea of the layout from the views on Bing maps, these are old enough that the new park isn't built yet, and see that the water level is much lower. In some pictures I've seen it almost dry. In the Bing shots, you can see there is a triangle-shaped piece of land at the bottom of the falls that is under water right now. Once that clears off, I imagine you can get quite close to the bottom of the falls for nearly unobstructed views. It's just a matter of hitting it at the right time.
LGD
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Postby George » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:23 pm

I visited the Overlook Park today at sunset, on what is supposedly the last open day of the season. There was plenty of water from yesterday's rain, and it was hard to tell whether the power plant was diverting enough to dry them significantly in lower water.

If you plan to photograph here with an SLR, bring a beanbag or similar support. The wall is too high to shoot over with a tripod, but it's wide enough to set a camera on.

Evening Falls 1.jpg

In this shot you can see a log approaching the brink. I didn't see it when I took the shot, and I wish I'd waited a second or two longer.

Detail 2.jpg

Detail 1.jpg

Detail 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
George
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

Camera Model: Nikon D300, Calumet 4x5

Postby L_G_D » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:08 pm

Cool shots.

Was the lower area along the river open yet? It doesn't look flooded like it was when I was there.
LGD
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Next

Return to NY Waterfall Discussion

Thanks for supporting our sponsors

Click here for Finger Lakes photos & gifts

Click for Finger Lakes pics