Indian Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I think I'm just going to have to eat at the restaurant in order to get some photos. I hope they don't mind me setting up the tripod at the table. :D
Bill_K
VIP
VIP
Camera Model: Panasonic DMC-FZ8 and Canon Rebel XSi

cbobcat49 wrote:I've walked to the back of that cemetery a few times looking for a way down into the gorge but didn't see a safe way. Maybe I wasn't brave enough? :rubeyes: :fear: There's a road with a rickety bridge going over the creek about a quarter mile downstream where you could easily access the creek but it's posted down there.

Chris
I remember it was quite a steep drop but we were kids about 14/15 years old and had no fear. Sometimes we used to walk along the field by the cemetery and go down that way if we were lugging a bunch of supplies.
That bridge you are referring to, is that down that old dirt road the one that dead ends at the thruway? If memory serves me correctly, there's a right turn before the dead end that leads to the bridge? I rarely went down that way, I do however, remember partying at the dead end when I became a little older. It actually was a popular make out area. :lol:
To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.
*Giorgio de Chirico*
http://www.flickr.com/photos/walking_trails/
http://www.redbubble.com/people/billk
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Yep, that's the bridge. We drove down there, I pulled up to the bridge, had no intention of driving over it, and my wife started one of her panicked... "sweetie! sweetie! sweetie!" :shock: ...when she thinks I'm about to do something stupid while driving. That bridge is in rough shape. I doubt anyone drives over it anymore.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
jroz
Junior
Junior

Last edited by Kelly on Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Titled link
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

i have been to this fall numerous times, always see teens playing around on top and under the falls. I can't get decent shots from the restaurant. I can see a way down. IT's kind of disappointing because this falls is so interesting with that pre-karst geology.
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Get a waterproof bag and jump down. They were showing on the news kids jumping down into the pool.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Bill_K wrote: On the subject of Indian Falls...my parents used to take us there when I was a kid. They used to have a small amusement park on the opposite side of route 77 from the falls. I remember the train ride was my favorite thing about going there. They had a few other small rides and a rope bridge over the water. We're talking many years ago.
Bill, we've just entered the amusement park you are referring to on http://www.NYHistoric.com. You can find the post here: http://nyhistoric.com/2011/10/morrots-b ... ian-falls/. It would be wonderful if you can recall some memories and share them in the comment section. And if, per chance, you have any old photos - we would be thrilled to use them...... :up:
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

So lots of you have been there, but no pictures? Agreed that there is no good place to get the best shot, but it was too pretty to just hop back in the car and not give it a try. (As for eating in the restaurant just to get a better view......after glancing in the window and seeing all the dirty/uncleared tables - I guess it must be popular. Either that, or they just don't clean.)

I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic