Barnes Creek Gully - Canandaigua

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Rate Onanda Park and Barnes Creek Gully

Ugly, Not worth the trip
No votes
Could be better
No votes
OK, See it if you are in the area
33%
Beautiful, worth the trip.
33%
Must see, worth revisiting
33%

Total votes: 3
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

just got back. Too sunny for any worthwile picks, so I'll have to go back in order to get decent photos for the site.

Climbed the first two falls to get to the third. Slipped and fell on my ass once. It was pretty funny.

The first falls is about 40 feet, then an interesting looking 10 footer and them a massive 50 foot cascade. The water flow was very low.

We saw an adult female turkey descend the gorge right next to us. Turns out her chicks must have fell down and she came to retreive them.

[important]Official page here:
http://www.nyfalls.com/onanda-park.html[/important]
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

The water flow was very low.
...as in, don't even bother? Or if we're nearby is it at least worth the walk up the creek?

I'm brianstorming ideas as to where to go waterfalling tomorrow. We've driven by Barnes Creek before but it's been bone dry every time.
Matt
President
President

I would say it made it easier to climb up, but certainly not bone dry.
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Despite feeling under the weather...I just had to get out today especially since the rain never came. I received permission to visit Meneth Gully and stopped there however the sun was directly overhead and the gully is wide open so no pics came out worth sharing. I then decided to travel a bit south and visit Barnes Gully. Luckily there was a good amount of flow. I also traveled down to the 64/21 intersection where there is another 2 gullies that I have sought out permission to visit, however I haven't received a response. They were both posted so I just did a drive by.

“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Excellent shots! I've only been in the gorge there once and it was barely flowing.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon Rebel T1i / Samsung S730

Great shots Kyle! Glad you were able to get out despite the illness. I had the same situation near the end of the season last year -- I was sick, but the weather was just phenomenal for that late in the year so I bit the bullet and went for a trek through Conklin Gully. Very glad I did. I had a couple great climbs that day.

I finally got Ben out to start his season the other day. He was getting a bit jealous of me as I'd already been out to Excelsior twice before that.

I'm looking at taking a trip to Naples on Wednesday to check out Conklin (speaking of...) and the lowest falls at Clarks. I'm hoping there's more flow in Conklin than when I was there last year, but at the same time I'm hoping the flow is low enough that it doesn't impede climbing. We'll see how it goes! I want to check out Grimes, but I'm thinking the creek will probably be flowing too swiftly for a safe creekwalk to the falls. I will certainly scout it out, and if it's not too bad I'm all over it like those proverbial flies we always hear about. :crap:

;)

spec
-----
spec
Matt
President
President

certainly good flow... i always try to photograph this fall and fail. Flow, lack of tripod, bad weather... maybe this spring
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Thanks guys! Yes, this is definately a spring time visit or after heavy rains. I recall going there last year mid summerish and it was pretty stagnant, smelled funky and it seemed as though it was a mosquito sanctuary :angry:
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook