Barnes Creek Gully - Canandaigua

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Rate Onanda Park and Barnes Creek Gully

Ugly, Not worth the trip
No votes
Could be better
No votes
OK, See it if you are in the area
33%
Beautiful, worth the trip.
33%
Must see, worth revisiting
33%

Total votes: 3
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I finally was able to photograph this today in great conditions with just the right flow.
I'm happy.
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

:up:
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Guessing the rain helped? Usually bone dry about this time...cant wait to see the pics!
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

The Spring rains cleaned out this falls in a huge way. As it is real close, been climbing it for years. But the big falls always had a big (and growing) log jam at the bottom.

Was there today. No more! (first pic) If we get some rain soon, might be worth a visit again.
Attachments
IMG_6924!!!small.jpg
IMG_6905!!sm.jpg
IMG_6897!!sm.jpg
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Great pics David! Wonder who cleared it out. That log jam has been in place for years...good to know its gone finally. Will look forward to making a trek down there in the near future.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

sweet leaf swirl in pic 2!
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I think it was nearly clear when I was there last fall. The spring may have cleared it out completely. I need to get out there again and get a nice clean shot of that one.
DouglasRooney
Rookie

Hey all - just signed up, and I guess I'll put in the first comment in this thread in a while.

Visited Barnes Gully with my wife yesterday, and it's a wonderful little place. The water flow was perfect - enough water to make the falls look interesting, but not so much that climbing and walking the creek bed was difficult.

The first falls was easy enough to get up, as there was a pair of ropes on the right side of the falls. If you were really nimble, you could probably get up without them. It's a beautiful falls, long and tiered - it's worth stopping along the climb and getting a new perspective as you go along. This one reminded me a little bit of the first significant falls at Conklin Gully (my favorite creek walk in the area) - tall, but long and windy.

The second falls is smaller, but really interesting looking - darker stone, about 10 feet tall. We started to climb it, but then noticed a set of ropes climbing the ridge to the left of this falls, so we took that.

There's a great view of the "big" falls from this ridge. It did not seem safe at all to descend into the amphitheater to get a view from below, so we kept climbing up this ridge. There's lot of roots for handholds, so it wasn't too bad. There was also a thin rope near the top.

This took us to a very rough, narrow, and tilted path on the left (South) side of the gorge, which we followed to a point where we could descent back safely into the gorge. Not too far upstream from the "big" falls there's a set of cascades, about four in total, all of them 5-10 feet individually or so, that all connect and make a really intriguing set. Just past this point, on the right (North) side of the gorge, is a very clear path up to the rim that ends right at the overlook for the big falls. We descended back to our car via the official Onanda Park uplands trails.

It was a great day!