Zoar Valley

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

We could do a hike from the Forty Road parking lot down to the confluence. That's all on state land. Saturdays April 24th, May 8th and 22nd are open for me. Sunday afternoons seem to be completely free.

Chris
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

This doesnt get us to the nice falls though does it? Are they still inaccessible?
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
cbobcat49

If you mean Big Falls, which is the only falls on the South Branch creek itself and not on a tributary, no we wouldn't see that. That's on NSSWNY property and the only way one can visit that is on a NSSWNY led hike. They usually have a couple per summer. I haven't gotten their summer newsletter yet so I don't know when those will be.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
hobkyl

Truthfully, I would rather wait to go on one those hikes. The falls that open to the public didnt really strike me as all that interesting even if they had water.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
cbobcat49

ok, that's cool. I'll keep you posted. In my opinion though, Gossamer Cascade is more picturesque than Big Falls. That's on that hike I described above.
hobkyl

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dangler/1121082830/

I'd be interested in seeing falls like this more than the typical Zoar falls that are slide down the cliff. However, I wont rule it out...but it may be hard to get there in the next month. Theres another one Id really like to see that I cant seem to find a picture of anymore.
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
cbobcat49

Yes, that's Big Falls. I've never had the guts to jump in the plunge pool like that but my wife has. :)
That boulder at the crest of the falls is no longer there as of a few years ago.
cbobcat49

A bunch of us had a chance to get down to the Valley yesterday in the awesome weather!

Gossamer Cascade

We were sitting along the shore relaxing next to a rapids and I saw a rather smooth looking stick floating downstream. Then the stick made a 90 degree turn and headed toward the shore. :shock:

Bill picked it up. He's insane. :woof:

get a room!