Frozen Falls of 2015

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

cbobcat49 wrote:flickr changed how they handle photo sharing and didn't tell anyone.
Reminds me of a time you and your buddies went off hiking and drinking without telling me. We simply must do that again soon. :D
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Reminds me of a time you and your buddies went off hiking and drinking without telling me. We simply must do that again soon.
:P
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

fixed!
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Very much worth waiting for, Chris! I especially love the composition and pop of color on this one!

I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Canon 6D

I agree with Kelly. Thanks for sharing the photos. It looks like a fun trip.
Kelly wrote:Very much worth waiting for, Chris! I especially love the composition and pop of color on this one!

pgflyer1
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Nikon D5500, P510

I could view all of the the originals and the second set too. Great shots and I agree the climbers added a little color too. Thanks for sharing.
There's no half-singing in the shower, you're either a rock star or an opera diva." - Josh Groban
Jeduthan
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Kodak Easyshare C1450

I stopped by Judd's Falls as I was passing through on State Route 20. Unfortunately all I had was a little point and shoot, and neither the time nor the footwear to hike to the base of the falls. All the same, I took what photos I could. On the bottom half of the falls you can see what looks like an ice wall.
Attachments
Juddsa.jpg
Juddsa.jpg (173.61 KiB) Viewed 1127 times
Jeduthan
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Kodak Easyshare C1450

I zoomed in as best I could. I don't think the photo shows that the water had melted the top of the ice wall so it stood independently of the rock face. The gap was perhaps a foot or so. The water flowed behind the ice wall, which acted like a huge frosted sheer crystalline window pane. I could see the water moving behind it as (I suspect) it bounced between the rocks and the inner surface of the ice on its way down. In a way, I was surprised the ice still stood even though it was so thin I could see the water behind it. With today's temperature's reaching near 60, I think the ice wall won't stand much longer...
Attachments
Juddsb.jpg
Juddsb.jpg (172.87 KiB) Viewed 1126 times