Any GoPro users out there?

Discuss everything including the optimal equipment, seasons, techniques and tips for capturing excellent photos.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

The new gopro firmware and app update came out last week. The firmware added some resolution/framerates and features, which is always cool. The app improves performance AND now allows you to update the firmware of the gopro wirelessly through the app. I did it and it was super easy.
macnmotion
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Canon 5D2

Just installed the update myself, preparing for a snorkeling trip this weekend.

April 13 was the Thai New Year, Songkran. It's a 3-day water festival, with people on the streets spraying the cars and each other with water. A perfect opportunity for the GoPro!! While this doesn't make for the most compelling video, it is a glimpse into some of the Thai holiday insanity!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoCHAuPtVEo

Andy
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

That's awesome. I want to go there.
macnmotion
Senior
Senior

I picked up some of the GoPro anti fog strips today to use on this weekend's snorkeling trip. Most people seem to agree it's a good idea to use them. I'll let you know how it works out.

I also did a fair amount of research as to whether I should use a red filter for snorkeling, but the consensus seems to be that it's only necessary beyond 5 meters. I found a decent online tutorial for color correcting in After Effects should I need to.

Hoping that my first underwater experience is a good one!
macnmotion
Senior
Senior

My first underwater experience was pretty much a success. The conditions weren't great but the camera works as advertised. I used antifog strips and I got no fog!

The monopod gave great extension, allowing me to get closer to the fish than I otherwise would have but most of the fish darted away when they saw the camera coming. I was able to place the monopod in a couple of holes, but nothing interesting went near the camera so none of those clips are useful.

I'll put together some of the clips and post after the weekend. Andy
macnmotion
Senior
Senior

Found a great use for the GoPro. We stopped by a seafood shop by the sea to choose our live crabs and prawn for lunch. Using the GoPro and iphone app I was able to inspect the seafood without taking every one out of the tub. Ended up with an incredible lunch!! Will post the video from Bangkok.
macnmotion
Senior
Senior

Here is a compilation of my first attempt at underwater videography. Snorkeling with my GoPro Hero 3+. Filmed in the Andaman Sea off of Trang, Thailand. Make sure to change to 720P HD.

Next time I will concentrate harder on less movement of the camera. As you will see, I tended to wave the camera (at the end of a long monopod) back and forth as I was swimming and diving, and this results in too much motion. This type of movement also affects focus, and you can see some of the fish moving in and out of focus a few times.

Overall, the experience was great. I removed a bit of green cast in post processing, and bumped the contrast just a bit to compensate for less than ideal water clarity. I love the camera. It's easy to use, and the results are everything I had hoped they would be.

[BBvideo 700,419]http://youtu.be/qukQ5biMjPE[/BBvideo]

Andy
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

Very nice, Andy!
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com