November Photo Challenge: Vegetables

Display your photos or the photos of others here. This is also where you'll find the Monthly Photo Challenge.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Michaelino
Junior
Junior

Actually I have been growing vegetables for about 48 years, since my grandfather taught me his tips on the farm I was raised on. Haven''t lived in the country since 1979, though but my tomatoes have followed me everywhere.
Zebra Cherry Tomato in a container in my garden
Zebra Cherry Tomato in a container in my garden
Zebra Cherries.jpg (392.94 KiB) Viewed 2890 times
Sungold Cherry Tomatoes
Sungold Cherry Tomatoes
Sungold Tomato.jpg (327.55 KiB) Viewed 2890 times
Bowl of several varieties of Cherry Tomatoes.
Bowl of several varieties of Cherry Tomatoes.
Bowl of Cherry Tomatoes.jpg (378.03 KiB) Viewed 2894 times
Tomato growing runs in the family. Every once in awhile, I have to go over to the community garden on Monroe Avenue at the end of Rosedale to gather the harvest when my sister and brother-in-law and their kids are out of town. No problem. Especially with the "Paul Robeson" and Roma varieties here. And especially fine are the lobed little ones from Italy "Costoluto Genovese" - an heirloom, wonderful little fruit.
Variety  of Heirloom Tomatoes grown by my Sister
Variety of Heirloom Tomatoes grown by my Sister
Diana's Tomatoes.JPG (530.87 KiB) Viewed 2894 times
Last edited by Michaelino on Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Michaelino
Junior
Junior

Great to be back Kelly! Love the market photo project, by the way.

Kale keeps well in the fridge, I made that trip on the 16th...here's a different sort of report that includes more shots from that day

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... eb642a3e62
Michaelino
Junior
Junior

Last ones for now, a Before and After.

For an upcoming project for my Virtual Scrapbook site, I gathered samples many of the horse chestnuts and buckeyes (vegetable matter, right?) from the collection on the west side of the Reservoir in Highland Park. Here's the shot I envisioned, lots of wood and nuts. Including the elusive, gold colored Ellwanger Buckeye nut.
From the  Horse chestnuts and Buckeye collection in Highland Park
From the Horse chestnuts and Buckeye collection in Highland Park
Before.jpg (660.61 KiB) Viewed 2904 times
I shot that in my backyard, on my picnic table. Forgot about the pile of nuts after I went inside to look at my shots. And 24 hours later, it didn't matter.

But on the morning of the second day after, I noticed this scene.....
And then there were none...
And then there were none...
BeforeAfter.jpg (698.74 KiB) Viewed 2904 times
Last edited by Michaelino on Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Those are all excellent. I especially like the wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide market shots (last time i was there i was stuck with a 70mm prime and didn't like it).
Michaelino
Junior
Junior

Thanks Matt. It a fisheye lens, which is one of favorites and I think it sometimes reproduces what I remember better as opposed to what I may have seen. Been a long since I was back here, although I have been keeping in touch with Mikell over at the book at least.

Finally returned to a multi-lens camera after a 30 year break in the interim. My cheap Kodak point and shoot days are over. Turns out I wasn't able to save that company by buying digital cameras from them.

In fact I keep intending to show up here, but then life happens. But vegetables and me, we go way back Here are more market shots...I keep intending to change that damn fisheye and yet it just won't unscrew itself and go back in the bag. But it gets the people with the veggies...although I like photos of either alone too.
Kohlrabi!
Kohlrabi!
Kohlrabii.jpg (534.36 KiB) Viewed 2843 times
Leeks and Celery Root.
Leeks and Celery Root.
green onions.jpg (345.62 KiB) Viewed 2843 times
And then, the sun came out for the fruit...
Pears in Sunlight
Pears in Sunlight
Pears.jpg (335.7 KiB) Viewed 2843 times
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Damn!

The fisheye is the one lens I never wanted.

Now it's the next lens I want. What a great application for it. The distortion really works!

Seems to me it allows for a bit of sneakiness too! (Hate when people know I'm photographing them. Now I can catch their distorted and suspicious look at the same time I'm shooting the produce!)

Thanks so much for posting these.

You've got some awesome shots, Michael. I especially love the horse chestnuts before and the bowl of cherry tomatoes!

If you don't mind me asking.....what camera did you go for after giving up on reviving Kodak? ;)
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Mikell
Board Expert
Board Expert

OH...MIchael! So good to see you back on this site...it's been awhile. You know I'm a big fan of your photos...and now, your vegetables too! ;)

Great shots...love those tomatoes!

(PS...snow doesn't kill SAGE. I go out at xmas time and pick it fresh for the turkey by digging it out of the snow bank in my backyard! )
Mikell
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Philip - do keep us posted if things don't improve. I've moved our discussion about the ads here: http://nyfalls.com/board/viewtopic.php? ... 534#p66534
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic