National Geographic

Display your photos or the photos of others here. This is also where you'll find the Monthly Photo Challenge.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Last year is started up a subscription to [amazon=B00005NIOH]National Geographic[/amazon], which I used to buy on the newsstand since I was a kid. And probably sparked my fascination with photography, journalism and international culture. I have read through 6 of the latest issues this week and the magazine still is the best narrative on culture and science, and despite a flood of photography passing my eyes from other publication, flickr, all random corners of the internet, National Geographic is still the best journal for mind-blowing and thoughtful photography.

I have all the Nat Geo "photographs" books which are pretty much collections of their best published photos.

I used to give a lot of weight to National Geographic's editorial team. They choose the best photos to compliment, but not perfectly align with the stories they tell. New readers would always expect the photos to demonstrate exactly what the accompanying article describes. Photos of the subjects, of the events and scenes described... don't expect them to be on the next page, they never will be. And there's reason for this. The words are the story. The photos are the atmosphere. National geographic has always done this, and it works. Their editorial philosophy on photos has kept their photojournalism unique for over a century.

I'm happy to see photos that National Geographic has fulfilled the dreams of fans by showing photos that have not made it through the editors and onto the pages.
The new National Geographic Tumblr is a continuously updated blog of rare an interesting photos from their collection.
http://natgeofound.tumblr.com/

There's not much there now, but already I love it and it's already going to be a daily stop for my web surfing habits.
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

The words are the story. The photos are the atmosphere.
:up:
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Just another day on the job for these guys. I'd get eaten. Glad beets don't move as fast as a bear.

Growing up we always subscribed to NG, and both my boys have collected vintage issues and maps for years. So, while I don't read too much of their content, I certainly have a huge appreciation for their educational and entertainment value.
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Matt
President
President

I would just start throwing Canon lenses. Those things are larger than any bear.
Kelly
Editor
Editor

Or, you could just leave your huge ego behind to trip the bear and lighten your load to run away faster. :mrgreen:

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
New York Historic
Matt
President
President

Why would i leave the ego behind when there are plenty of young pretty ladies willing to carry it for me?
Kelly
Editor
Editor

Trust me. They'll be too busy trying to get their little pink trikes out of the tall grass to give a damn about loading your ego into their trailer. Wouldn't fit anyway. :P

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
New York Historic