Sunrise on the Sandbar

Display your photos or the photos of others here. This is also where you'll find the Monthly Photo Challenge.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I studied erosion-prevention quite a bit in college and when I was in Sichuan last year and Yunnan this year I saw such an amazing effort to fight clay erosion. They use lattices of concrete and vegetation. The problem with doing that on the southern shore of Lake Ontario is the expense... and every property owner would have to do it... one gap and everything crumbles. That would only cover the erosion of the bluff from rain... fighting the Lake is another story.

if you follow that map east (left from that view) so can see where a few cottages fell over (where the bluff climbs before tapering down again for East Bay). When I was young, the Army Corps of Engineers scooped up a ton of beach rocks, and fenced them in at the base of the bluff near East Bay. It lasted a few years before the bluff clay eroded down and pushed the barrier away.
Mikell
Board Expert
Board Expert

Mother Nature always has her way....hard to fight her forces.
Everyone on the sandbar is concerned about the plans to raise water levels in the Great Lakes right now. The International Joint Commission (IJC) wants to get back to older levels before they artificially lowered levels many years ago. They're proposing a slight increase of an inch or two (I'm not really sure of all the details) but there's concern that any increase would have the potential to swamp parts of the sandbar in a storm surge. Trouble is...we tampered with natural levels ages ago...and we're paying the price with loss of wetlands and habitat for birds and wildlife...and many places along the Great Lakes shoreline are at very low levels...so it's hard to argue that the 80 or so people along the sandbar should get much consideration. I've generally supported the efforts of the IJC to do what's best for the Great Lakes over the years too....so I may be at odds with my fellow cottage owners on the bar.
Mikell
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Naturally, the crust plate below the Great Lakes is rising up, and the water levels naturally as a result. That we can never change. The IJC's costs are rising trying to offset it. So the question is,.... at which point to we stop trying to control it.. and just let it be (compensating for surges, of course). I'd be scared of life on a sandbar. My sister lives on Edgmere Drive... It's quite a big sand bar, but still... a random hurricane or earthquake.. and Edgemere could become quite unstable.

I have boated past your cottage several times over the years. I have always wondered how life out there was.