Allen Lake State Forest

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Derrick
Rookie

Did anyone end up finding this? I grew up in that area and used to go back to the water fall all the time. Most recently I went their 3 years ago and it was completely dry. I have went back their in the spring and fall and the water was 3 or 4 ft deep. It can be tricky to find if their isn't much water, there are steep banks on either side and you cannot see the water unless you slink down the side of the banks, so the only way to tell you are at the right spot is hear the water going over the falls.

The easiest way I have found it is start at the Northern End of Saunders Road coming from Allen Lake(Saunders Rd doesn't go straight through from the Southern end it is blocked). Keep driving you will go past a white house on the corner, keep going about a mile and you will go around a turn and pass an old natural gas pipeline, keep going about another mile you will come to a clearing on the right side of the road where a snow mobile path comes out walk down that path, when you hit a gate walk directly behind the right gate post(do not keep following the snowmobile trail this will take you to the southern end of Saunders road that someone above pictured). Behind the right gate post there is an old logging trail, keep following this until you hit the stream bed. It will start off fairly shallow and the more you follow it the steeper the sides get. Eventually you will come to a hill that is across the creek bed that has white color stone/sand(you can see it in one of the pictures above). A little past that is the water falls.
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

I drove north along the road on the east side of the Genesee River earlier in the summer looking for the creek this falls is on. Found it. Bone dry. :(
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
Derrick
Rookie

Hmm, I am heading out that way this weekend, maybe I will see if I can find it again. Although as dry as it has been this summer I suspect it still may not have water in it.
bigcarp
Rookie

Good maps. I will use it. Thanks.
BTW, I have small inflatable boat for fishing. Hopefully there is no issue with it.
bigcarp
Rookie

What season is the best for fishing there? Probably September - November but I am not sure.
bigcarp
Rookie

If any fishing tackle is permitted for fishing on this lake? I am buying at hikerway. I think that their tackle and equipment are good for fishing at this place.
Beenthere

My ex and I were there 2 summers ago. We followed the steam and climbed down the falls using a fallen tree. Not an easy hike and we didn't see a single person in the two days we spent hiking there