Grand Teton National Park

Display your photos or the photos of others here. This is also where you'll find the Monthly Photo Challenge.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

Not related to waterfalls, but one of the most beautiful places in this country to shoot, I think.

cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

I agree completely. The Grand Tetons are nothing short of stunning! I love the lighting in your photos. Looks like just before dusk. What is that in the lake? A tree stump? If it wasn't for a happy twist of fate, we would never have seen them on our honeymoon. In my Chevy Chase National Lampoon-like itinerary, I had us spending an entire Saturday at Yellowstone, then driving down to Jackson, WY to get a hotel room for the night. Well, as soon as we left the boundary of the park, the Rockefeller Highway was under MAJOR construction and stripped down to gravel. After awhile we came upon Flagg Ranch. They had a cabin available so we stayed there. The next morning we were treated by the Tetons. If that road wasn't ripped up I would've driven straight on through in the dark and missed the whole park. I was completely oblivious to the beauty of that place!

Chris

Last edited by cbobcat49 on Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I had no idea it was so close to yellowstone. I think I may plan my next trip there. Any good places to stay?
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer

camp. Tons of places to camp for 10 bucks.
cbobcat49

Well, we thought very highly of Flagg Ranch. It's right in between the 2 parks so it would be perfect as a home base for day trips into either park. Apparently they offer guided day trips also. Very excellent breakfast in the restaurant too.

http://www.flaggranch.com

They're a bit pricy but worth it if you're in the mood to splurge. If you click on the lodging link you'll see the cabins they offer. It basically looks like a cabin from the outside but it's actually 2 hotel style rooms stuck together with an entrance for each room on either side.

Chris
cbobcat49

But obviously camping would be cheaper. :)

Be aware of jacked up prices on supplies though. My wife and I were both sick those few days. We stopped at a store in Jackson(?) and Julie ran in to buy a box of tissues. She came out looking infuriated. I asked what's wrong.... "$3 for a box of tissues."

Supply and demand I guess.
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer

we camped there for 3 days, and in Yellowstone for 2, but frankly I hate Yellowstone, it's a tourist Disney land trap meant for fat and sedentary American's who can't walk more than 15 yards in a single grunt.

On our trip to and from Alaska, we camped for a total of 81 days, only staying in a lodge in San Diego. Got very used to the inside of my tent. My girlfriend got sick of it though, especially in rainy Alaska.....