Pennsylvania Waterfalls

Talk about waterfalls outside of New York state.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

npeeff

Here's Mohawk falls from Ricketts Glen State Park

Nick Peeff
Last edited by npeeff on Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
pawaterfalls
Rookie
Camera Model: Canon EOS 20D

Nice to find a forum about waterfalls in Pennsylvania, especially when some that are on the threads I don't have photographed yet. (Always a plus!)

I have been reading about Ricketts Glen on here and while I am a huge fan of RGSP, there are things to note before making your trip. If you park in the lower parking lot (The best place to access the 22nd named waterfall 'Adams' [pictured below]), the trip becomes a 7.2 mile hike. The falls trail is slightly over 3 miles throughout both of the glens, but in my opinion, the best way to hike the trail is using the parking area off of PA Route 118 near Red Rock.

Adams Falls:

While you are out this way, I would seriously suggest looking in to grabbing a hiking partner during a non big game hunting season and heading over to State Game Lands #13, less than 10 miles west off of PA 118. Two of the runs at least have some seriously nice falls on them, with Sullivan Run and it's tributaries encompassing about 10 total (Sullivan Falls seen below) and Heberly Run having another 4 named and a nice run off above Twin Falls. SGL 13 is almost 50,000 acres and looking at topo maps, is just prime for waterfalls not listed in books.

Sullivan Falls:

Lastly, if you're in the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area (Pike County - US 209), Raymondskill Falls is worth the visit because of the flow, the three large steps and the hidden waterfalls further upstream that the tourists don't know about. you'll notice the spur trails heading off in to the woods slightly before you reach the observation point for the crest of the falls. Stick to these and you'll see some nice hidden treasures like the one listed below.

Raymondskill (Hidden):

If there's anyone looking for waterfalls in the northeastern region of the state, don't be afraid to ask. I'm located fairly close to the Scranton area.

-pawaterfalls, owner/photographer: http://www.pawaterfalls.com
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Thanks for posting your photos and info. I'm hoping to get to the Rickets Glen area this summer.
Welcome to the forum!

Chris
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I'm hoping to get out there too. Any more info would be helpful. Welcome to the forum!
Mark J
Senior
Senior

Thanks for your awesome post about Ricketts Glen and Raymondskill. I did them both in 2007 and both are definitely on the list for a return visit. Your photos, your directions and your info about falls that are off the beaten path are all awesome -- just the stuff I'm looking for. I lived in Allentown, PA 1985-1992. I was not that into waterfalls at that time. I did get to Bushkill Falls, a private falls that charges admission, during that time, yet I often drove up Route 209 through through the Delaware Water Gap without every stopping at the awesome falls that are only a new hundred yards off the federal highway. If I move back to Pennsylvania as anticipated in 2008, I hope to be able to devote a lot more time to exploring PA waterfalls, with your site as a guide. I am still primarily focussed on New York falls at this point.

Mark J
pawaterfalls
Rookie

cbobcat49 wrote:Thanks for posting your photos and info. I'm hoping to get to the Rickets Glen area this summer.
Welcome to the forum!

Chris

Just remembered (Actually, I was reminded) that I have a video for RGSP online at Yahoo. If you go to the yahoo main page, hit videos and type in Ricketts Glen, mine is the first video (almost 5 minutes) with most of the falls from the park there. The website that is listed on the video no longer exists, but the video lives on.

Enjoy.
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

We're going to be in northeast PA two weekends from now. It looks like we'll have time to visit the Lehigh Gorge State Park or the Delaware Water Gap Area. One or the other. Which one would you guys recommend?

Chris
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
pawaterfalls
Rookie

cbobcat49 wrote:We're going to be in northeast PA two weekends from now. It looks like we'll have time to visit the Lehigh Gorge State Park or the Delaware Water Gap Area. One or the other. Which one would you guys recommend?

Chris
What's the weekend? Are you talking about the 26th or the 2nd? I'm planning a hike through the poconos on the second to look for a couple falls I don't have yet.

Anyway, as for the question, LGSP is nice, Onoko is really nice, but IMO, there's more of a variety in the Poconos if you're going to do the water gap. Just pray for rain. Dingmans is looking sickly and that is one of the bigger ones down there.