Snowflakes

Display your photos or the photos of others here. This is also where you'll find the Monthly Photo Challenge.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Des219 wrote:Kelly, have you tried a time laps sequence of the flake melting? Not sure if it would worked or if it would be one or the other.
I like the way you're thinking . . .

I'm pretty sure it could easily be done if the temperature was just right, but probably not with the camera I'm using. It would melt faster than I could collect the images. I have tried.

I do have sets of 3 or so that I've considered "animated gif-ifying", but that's not a lot of frames. I did shoot one the other day of the watery outline of a melted flake which was kind of neat, but the contrast is not good on slate.

Keep the ideas coming!
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Canon 6D

So what camera and lens are you using? That is an interesting shot.
Kelly
Editor
Editor

Des219 wrote:So what camera and lens are you using? That is an interesting shot.
Kelly wrote:
excellent. What did you shoot those with?
Thanks.
Same as always.
My $89 [amazon=B001SER4C4]Canon Powershot A480[/amazon]. I hesitated to list the Amazon link, because for some reason they're now selling it for $175. It's old and outside of this application, it's barely worth the $89 I paid for it, but it'll focus within about 1/2 an inch of your subject, and its small - easy-to-hold-still size makes it perfect for flake photos.
http://nyfalls.com/board/viewtopic.php? ... hot#p56473

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
New York Historic
gardengirl13
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: OMD-EM5

Kelly wrote:Congrats on the house and welcome back, my dear!

I see you're shooting with Olympus now. Is there a story you want to share? ;)
Well I got it back in July 2012, so I've been using it for a while now. With my health getting worse the weight of the Canon DSLRs were getting to be too much. I switched to the 60D which was lighter, bought cheaper lenses, but it proved to still be too heavy. So I looked into p&s and couldn't find one good enough to use how I need to use a camera, then someone pointed me to the OM-D. Wow how micro 4/3's have changed over the last few years!! Holy cow this is almost as good as a DSLR. There are a few things that aren't as good, but if you're tricky enough with your shooting you can mask them. Otherwise it's a great little camera!! Plus being micro 4/3's it's slightly closer to p&s in how fine f/stops are so I can shoot snowflakes with it and not go crazy with small wobbles that plague me and macro shooting. Not as wide as a p&s but pretty good. The high ISO is a little rough, but not too bad, still slightly better then the 60D was. Buuuut I can easily use ISO 6400+ and crop and still get a nice image!

One thing I took up shooting last summer was water drops. I'm very impatiently waiting for warm weather to keep this up! With the move I've been so swamped I have like 700 images I still need to edit from Aug through yesterday. I did the more important stuff but have been neglectful. But Kelly I think you'll like this and it may sway you away from hummingbirds for a few days!! the bunch at the top are just old water drops, but scroll down to see the newer stuff!!

http://www.pbase.com/gardengirl13/fun_with_water
Kelly
Editor
Editor

Those are wonderful! Any time you want to start your own topic here - something along the lines of "Fun with water" - please don't hesitate! Post more shots, give tips, discuss - anything! :up:

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
New York Historic
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Welcome to Olympus! I have been using their cameras for over a decade. I JUST began switching to micro 4/3 with the OMD EM-1, which I love.
the 4/3 format is much better suited for macro because of the crop and flange distance (allows for closer focus with more lenses and the huge DoF).
When I tried snowflakes, I used the standard 35mm macro, which worked great. I since bought a ring light and a set of macro filters. I haven't done snowflakes since because I hate snow, but for other things, the results are superb.
gardengirl13
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: OMD-EM5

thanks!! Yeah my macro is just the kit lens in macro setting! It's fine for what I normally shoot. I tried snowflakes again last month and they came out horrible! I'm hoping to get more. OK that's a big fat lie, I too hate snow, but I have to be positive about it! Shooting flakes makes me at least be able to look at it with a slight smile instead of when is spring again? Ok that's another lie. I still ask when spring is, but I do like shooting them! ha ha!

And Kelly I can go into details with those if you want. I'll try to do it when I have some time. I'll start it with a post for now then let people ask questions etc...
Kelly
Editor
Editor

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
New York Historic