Bobcat or cougar???

Talk about sightings and get help identifying Plants, Animals, Fish, and Fungi. Share pictures and video.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

alilconcerned
Rookie

Hi everyone!!

This photo has been the topic of discussion at my dinner table.. It is off of a trail cam, on Route 246 in the town of Covington, just outside of Pavilion. Our land is about 2 miles from where it was taken, and I'm really hoping that I dont see it in our woods.
Anyhow, the question.. Bobcat or Cougar? DEC says that we do not have either in that area. Obviously they are wrong! Unfortunatly you can not see the tail, which would help clear things up. Bobcats usually have more hair, a "fluffy" face, and are not typically long. Cougars typically have the white under their mouth and neck area.
This cat looks big to me... If I go out in the woods I dont want to be stalked or preyed upon.
The area is prime for it as there are lots of trees, thick brush and an abundant supply of food (deer).
We have seen tracks in our woods and not known what it was from but rather pawned it off as a big dog (the tracks were as big as my hand). We've heard of sightings for the last couple of years, but have never seen anything, like a picture to prove it. And now... well it makes me nervous! I'm in the woods alot..

If anyone has any feedback or can tell which one it is, I'd love to hear from ya!
Attachments
!cid__1101001924.jpg
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

Most definitely Bobcat. I've been hoping to just spot a raccoon or fox on my trail cam!!! Great capture!

Oh, and it is definitely more afraid of you than you are of it!
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Have you reported it to the DEC?
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
alilconcerned
Rookie

No, not yet..

I was hoping someone would say that it was afraid of me lol..
I'm a woman hunter and this just sends chills up my spine when I'm walking into the woods at 6 in the morning!!!
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II

The chances of you ever seeing it in person are slim to none. They're not all that uncommon, so I don't see any need to report it unless it's a nuisance.
hobkyl

I would report it due to "DEC saying there are none in the area" to confirm that there are.

But agree its a bobcat....you can see spots on it. And dont think that a bobcat would mistake you as prey.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II

I already checked the DEC website and it states: "Bobcats also occur occasionally in many areas of western New York (and probably breed there)." That was also based on old surveys.
hobkyl

Ok then no need to report
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook