Conklin Gully - Yates County

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon Rebel T1i / Samsung S730

Forge wrote:Hi I am Ben i thought i would finally say hi as i have been reading here but not posting.
He lives!! ;) Glad you finally posted dude!!

Forge wrote:Conklin is a great place and one of my first big climbs this year is to finish the top falls climb i did not make last year.
I'll be there with camera in hand, you know that. ;) You will own those last few feet this year, and I'm looking forward to it!
-----
spec
spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

Bremer - I keep looking at your 7th pic, of the falls in the 2nd large amphitheater. I love that shot. Great job capturing the lunacy of that bend in the creek. That's what I love about Conklin... That creek takes so many sharp twists and turns like that, and around each one is a falls of some description or other. Such a variety!
-----
spec
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

spec wrote: Great job capturing the lunacy of that bend in the creek.
Ditto, I've never seen a photo of those falls like that.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

hobkyl wrote:
spec wrote: Great job capturing the lunacy of that bend in the creek.
Ditto, I've never seen a photo of those falls like that.

Ben and I hit Conklin Gully and Tannery Creek today (Sunday.) Made it all the way to "High Falls" and back (That's what we're calling the tall falls at the end of the gully). We also explored the base of Angel Falls on the way up.

Ben got a wide angle picture of that bend from about the same perspective, but not the same "refined" quality of bremer's shot. I had fun on those falls today with the higher water! Coming back down, Ben went first down the left side (looking down), staying on his feet the entire way. I lowered my backpack down to him from above on a rope so that I was unencumbered... then sat down and slid right down the face of the falls into the little pool at the bottom. That was a blast!! Got absolutely soaked, and the water was cold, but it was so much fun! The air temps were mid to high 50's, so it wasn't too cold. That and, as always, I had a change of clothes in the car, so I knew I wasn't too far from being warm and dry! And yes, Ben did catch it on video. :)

Angel falls from the base is impressive. Looks like you can climb up to the top of the final "ledge" that the water hits after plummeting from the top. I tried today, but the rocks were just too wet for me, and I didn't feel safe trying to go further than I did. Also the surrounding skree was quite wet making it slippery as well. Somebody had made it up there either earlier today or the day before -- there were relatively fresh bootprints going up the side in the skree. I tried to follow, but the ground was just too unsteady, so I decided to come back down by choice rather than by force. :) We also climbed about 1/3 of the way up High Falls, but again, the water made things a bit slippery so we came back down before we got beyond the point of being able to come back down.

After Conklin, we were going to do Grimes... We stopped at the Subway, got our lunch then went and ate in Grimes parking lot. We decided were were getting a bit too tired to tackle Grimes after Conklin... So we decided to "scout" Tannery since neither of us had been there. We wanted to see the first falls if we could, then head out. We ended up doing the whole run to the large falls at the end. Ben climbed it all the way to the top. He then proceeded to make a crossing of the log that sits across the crest of the falls. I took a few pictures of him up there. I made it as far as behind the curtain of water. From there, I couldn't get my legs up high enough to make the climb. I was wearing jeans that were all kinds of wet at this point, and that REALLY limited my flexibility and I couldn't get my leg up high enough to make it onto the one rock behind the curtain. Had the rocks been a bit less slime covered, I could have used a handhold or something for extra leverage to pull myself up there, but I just couldn't find a decent crevice to grip into, and I didn't want to take the risk with how slippery things were. My luck Ben would have had to fish me out of the pool at the bottom. These falls are impressive! Not what I was expecting at all, and I was pleasantly surprised! I really love how you can get behind the water coming over that upper plunge. You can _smell_ the air ionizing around the falls. Such an awesome setting. Once again, Naples didn't fail to impress me with it's gorges and falls.

spec
-----
spec
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

I'd love to see that video!
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

Brenda wrote:I'd love to see that video!
Here ya go! ;) Sorry for the poor quality, but it's good enough to get the idea!! :)

-----
spec
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Thats pretty cool Andy!
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

That's great! I can't believe that you braved those water temps!
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com