2010 - What's Missing?

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon Rebel T1i / Samsung S730

Great finds!!! More falls close to home for me!! I will be checking those out before New Years, I hope. :) I've often looked at at the topo of that whole area around New Michigan and the countless other state forests up there, and figured there to be quite a few undocumented falls throughout. Just haven't had the chance to get up there and explore too much. I'm hoping next summer to do a bit of lo-tech orienteering (map, compass, and pencil) through a couple state forests, in Chenango County and other parts of the NY State, in search of falls. I've got a couple "primary targets" in mind and I'm sure I'll find more along the way.
-----
spec
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

http://naturalhighs.net/waterfalls/falls/devils.htm

No location is listed on Ruths website (private)...I had long ago wondered where this falls lay...before NYFalls was born. I had nearly forgotten about it, until last evening when my gfs father mentioned a rollover accident that occured near Devils Bedroom. Devils Bedroom, Devils Bedroom I said to myself...ah ha! I recalled that it was a falls listed on Ruths page. I asked him where Devils Bedroom was located, and below is an birds eye image from Bing and location marked on Google.

Untitled by hobkyl, on Flickr

Untitled by hobkyl, on Flickr
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
bremer
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 230

One I've had in mind for quite a while is school no. 7 gully, north of naples, in between clarks glen and middlesex. Every time I drive to Naples on 245, especially in the spring, I make sure to look west near caward cross road. An impressive hanging-style waterfall is visible from across the valley. According to the topo there is a drop of about 200' from the main falls to the road. Ruth's waterfalls has some upstream photos of smaller falls but not any of the main falls.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=r3f45h ... 5074&sty=b
http://naturalhighs.net/waterfalls/falls00/school7.htm
"Now I see the Secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth" - W. Whitman
Roots Photography
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Good find on Devil's Bedroom. :up:
I had a feeling that's where School 7 was too but wasn't sure.

Chris
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
hobkyl

So thats School 7? I didnt make it out there to ask the people at the house like I had hoped to this year :(

Grimes Glen Climb and Explore
hobkyl wrote:Ill be there so if you want to meet up Chris just say the word. Not sure where yet but I will be in Naples probably early and will be checking out Tannery, Conklin and or Clarks, and attempting to find and gain permission to access the land that holds this.....

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=r3f4vy ... vl=2&sty=b
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Here's another one from the naturalhighs site that I've always wondered about...

http://naturalhighs.net/waterfalls/falls00/henrie.htm
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
hobkyl

--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
hobkyl

And Im actually wondering if what you believe is School 7 fallls might be Henrie Gully...as her description is that it flows into the "West River tributary of Canandaigua Lake in Yates County." That puts it in the right area. The heights of the falls seem more acurate in relation to aerial views of the gully.
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook