Taughannock Falls State Park

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Rate Taughannock Falls

1 - Ugly, Not worth the trip
No votes
2 - Could be better
No votes
3 - OK, See it if you are in the area
4%
4 - Beautiful, worth the trip.
30%
5 - Must see, worth revisiting
67%

Total votes: 27
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

When I was in high school we used to hike down through the woods from Gorge Road to get there (and sit on that outcrop to the left of the falls), but that was many years ago and I'm sure that they must have found a way to stop people from doing that (for the most part).
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

hop the fence on any of the rim trails to get down there
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Isn't it like a huge gorge going straight down? I couldn't find any way into the stream until I got above the upper falls.
hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon 7D

What are these falls like at this time of the year? A friend and I actually might finally head up to Ithaca to shoot some falls and being I'm on vacation this week and he's free, we were thinking Thursday.

So I'm trying to plot which places would be best to check out at this point of the year, both by way of which are flowing well and not covered by ice and which are safest to get to at this point in the year. Any help about any of the falls in Ithaca for this point would be appreciated.
My photo blog: P.J.'s look at the world
My regular blog: A 'lil HooHaa
My flickr: HooHaa Photos

"Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast, you also miss the sense of where you are going and why." - Eddie Cantor
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

I'd be willing to bet that the falls will be roaring tomorrow with this rain! It's supposed to cool down again tomorrow so hopefully by the time that you visit there on Thurs. there will be a nice ice build up around the falls. It's beautiful at this time of year.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

OK, looks like two of us are actually going up Wednesday. Probably going to try and get going early in the day, so we can hit as much as possible. I know I want to hit these falls and likely the covered bridge in Newfield. Outside of that, we're open and I was hoping to get some ideas on the best course of action we should take.

I'd like to hit anywhere from 3-5 falls and the covered bridge. Anything more is gravy. Can someone give me an idea of the ones I should look to hit during this time of year, which would be safest to get to and which are the most accessible now?

I'll be printing out some of the things from this site, so any other help is appreciated.

Also, is there a decent photo shop in Ithaca where I could land some 120 film? Preferably black and white?

Thanks for any help and hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!

"Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast, you also miss the sense of where you are going and why." - Eddie Cantor
Winnie
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D3100 & Canon A4000 IS

Ithaca Falls, Lower Treman State Park, Buttermilk Falls, Taughnnock Falls are the best ones for this time of the year I think. With all of the thaw we have had ... Ludlowville Falls might be nice as well.

There are also several other waterfalls threw out Cornell University down hill into Ithaca that might be impressive to see as well.
hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

Thanks for the thoughts. Are these all somewhat close to one another and easy to get to? I'm doing some research and all now on each, but just trying to figure if these will be easy to go from one to another? (I don't know Ithaca well, so I might be attempting to plot directions from one to another etc.)