Sixteen Falls Creek?

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

So, doing research on something else in the area, came across a reference made in 1860 about Ovid to a "sixteen falls creek" flowing into Seneca Lake. here's a topo:
looks interesting to say the least. Anyone ever heard anything?
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

I got that creek on my list of places to check out. It definitely looks like there could be something just to the left of the S in Sixteen. Hopefully there's access at the end of Combs Road for a creekwalk upstream. :cross:
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

It doesn't look like it would have even close to sixteen falls. Possibly one at the 600 ft elevation.
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

Growing up, we always called it Creek 16. This is the first reference that I've seen to 16 Falls. I've never walked the creek up from the lake very far, but I spent a lot of time at the lake there when I was young. As you can see there was/is a cottage down there that you had to cross the creek to get to. I always thought that was the coolest thing. I have no idea about ownership now. I suspect that it's posted, but you know it never hurts to ask. Chris Verrill would be a good guy to ask about it since he lives on that road. He's listed in the Ovid phone book.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Here's one

There may be more in that ravine, but the trees & sun angle make it hard to see. There may also be some smaller ones upstream, but the water level is low enough that it's hard to tell. Interesting place though, but from the looks of the construction at the mouth of the stream, someone is building a house there, so access may be tricky.

OK, I just tried that link and Bing went nuts, see if this one works : Click here

This one maybe? Sheesh.
LGD
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

Probabilities: