Oak Tree Falls - Groves Creek, Seneca County

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

ImageMate Online website for Seneca Co....

http://imo.co.seneca.ny.us/disclaimer.aspx

Owner info.....(Click on the owner/sales tab on the left side-2nd one from top)

http://imo.co.seneca.ny.us/propdetail.a ... 0330000000
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

Thanks Kyle. Interesting. I think that in this case, I'd just "let sleeping dogs lie" if there are no posted signs.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

Oak Tree Falls:Becoming the master of finding and taking falls pics with no water. BUT, from the erosion on the hike, tree debris build-up at points and the midstream vegetation stubbed out and now coming back, you can tell this gets some water in a good way.

Access? This is very easy. Take 89 to Wyers road. 200-300 feet from the bottom of Wyers (it sort of T intersects) along the woods you see a pull off. Then a path. It takes you nicely down to the creek at a point where two come together. Take the bigger one to the falls.

Pics? Two just below.Fairly open. Seemingly a good (open)shot on right side (facing the falls) about 100-150 feet back up 25+ feet. Rope would help. Didn't bother as no flowing water.

Groves Creek Falls. Yeah, no water again.This falls is sad in the sense that a former bridge or mill was just tossed into the falls and now is at the bottom. Old cement footings, metal pieces throughout

Access: Easy again. 89 to Wyers. At the intersection, park west, uphill on the road. Cross 89, follow car path just of Wyers at the intersection to the falls. Ends at 8 ft ccascade wall consumed by the bridge just above it.Crossed creek, south about 200 feet used a 100 ft rope to descend. With Water you might get something of a shot. I probably won't go back.

Pics: two at bottom
Attachments
Oak Tree
Oak Tree
Oak Tree
Oak Tree
Grove Creek
Grove Creek
Grove Creek
Grove Creek
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

I still dont understand this land status. I drove by again yesterday and the whole road is posted as it was last year when I drove by (the gully sits just the other side of the signs down a steep embankment). So I didnt check it out...it definately had water though and I could hear the falls as I drove by further up the road.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook