OK Slip Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

This indicates it may be as early as this fall.

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.co ... l?nav=5008
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

This would be a definite NYFalls outing when it happens.
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

new map of the areas
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Drove by the access road over vacation last week. Northern Frontier has refurbished their cottage at the end of the road and there is a nice new sign at the roadside with their name on it. Used to be it was just an unmarked dirt road with a ramshackle building next to it. Not sure what that means or when those changes were done. From the map above, it looks to be that the entire area that Northern Frontier used to occupy is now considered state land. They had several buildings and other improvements (bridges, trails,etc) back there, I wonder what will become of them? I also wonder if they are just going to be shoved out, or if they will be allowed to stay there, but I kinda doubt that. Will definitely be watching closely. Planning a trip up there mid-October, so if it's open by then, will definitely be stopping by.
LGD
George
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Nikon D300, Calumet 4x5

Note that the land acquisition will occur over five years, so it's not State land yet. My sources at DEC tell me the OK Slip tract will be acquired in 2013, and the hunting camp leases will expire at the end of September 2013, hence the October 2013 date for public access.
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Ah, thanks for the update, that makes sense now. I guess another year to wait isn't that bad.
LGD
GrandWazoo
Rookie
Camera Model: Canon Powershot Pro 1

I hiked to kettle mnt about ten years ago. I really like this particular area. You've got great car camping opportunities at Huntley Pond and at the bridge over the Boreas River. The Hotwater Pond cave aka Burroughs cave. Blue ledge. The confluence of the Hudson and Boreas. Nate Pond. The fishing on the Hudson in the gorge is spectacular. Yes, I got the same view of O.K. Slip falls as you. I do remember their being a ancient looking cedar swamp on the bushwhack to a Kettle Mnt. and a bizarre makeshift hut. I will post a few pics later. They are on film.
It is an interesting question how far men would retain their relative rank if they were divested of their clothes. -Thoreau
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Yes, it's an interesting place. One hike I'd like to do is walk on the tracks south then hike up the ridge to the top of Kettle. Might be a longer hike, but I think a bit more enjoyable than the swamp slog you have to do if you hike directly from the road.

A friend of mine who works for Finch, the previous owners, says the State is making promises it can't keep and he would be very surprised if they get the deal done by next year. Apparently, Finch is still partly maintaining the area for the Nature Conservancy until the transfer to the State is complete.

Another thing he mentioned is that they are opening the Tahawus mine again, and are starting trains running up there to haul out reworked tailings, so maybe the tracks will be cleared out again and easier to walk like they used to be. Last time I was in there, the tracks south to the bridge were very overgrown with lots of downed trees. But, you'd have to watch out for trains again like we used to back in the 80's when they were still running now and then.
LGD