OK Slip Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

looks like more pics are trickling in:
State Department of Environmental Conservation spokesman Dave Winchell uses binoculars to check out the view of OK Slip Falls Thursday. The falls were added to the state Forest Preserve in April.
(Enterprise photo — Mike Lynch)
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

So, are people just hiking in on the road? Those links don't give much information.

Ok dug a bit at the one site:

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.co ... Falls.html

Seems they are "discouraging" people from hiking in, but it looks like they won't throw you out or arrest you if you do hike in. Driving in the way they did to the pond and then hiking from there is probably not a good idea during the summer when the camp is active, but parking near the road entrance at route 28 and walking the road in would probably not get someone into too much trouble. I'll have to look at the maps again, and see if there's any other viable route, possibly from the railroad bridge on the Hudson. I've already hiked the shore from the bridge to where the outlet of the stream is, which was a nightmare, so I wouldn't want to try that again, but maybe something along the ridge might be feasible.
LGD
George
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Nikon D300, Calumet 4x5

They shouldn't be posting pictures of DEC staff looking at the waterfall if there is no legal access for the public to do the same. It just invites trespassing on the camp property.
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

According to the Adirondack Explorer (news issue out) The governor signed the paperwork in April to purchase property previously owned by the Finch paper company. Which includes OK Slip Falls, it is open to the public as of the signing but the DEC doesn’t want a ton of people hiking to the falls until they get a trail made hence they’ve been keeping it quite.

Read the article here

http://www.adirondackexplorer.org/stori ... en-wonders
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Wonderful news!
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Interesting. I had thought of swinging by there over my vacation last week, but it was so hot, humid and rainy, I didn't get a chance. But, from what that's saying, they can't throw you out if yo do go, so next time I'm up there, I will make an effort to get in there.
LGD
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

I misunderstood. I thought the falls fell directly into the Hudson, there appears to be a small gorge as it travels down to the river. I'd also be very interested in taking in that view of the river with the Blue Ledges in the foreground.
Attachments
Doc1.jpg
Doc1.jpg (313.66 KiB) Viewed 4176 times
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook