Sugar Creek Glen - Dansville

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Rate Sugar Creek Glen

1 - Ugly, Not worth the trip
No votes
2 - Could be better
No votes
3 - OK, See it if you are in the area
20%
4 - Beautiful, worth the trip.
20%
5 - Must see, worth revisiting
60%

Total votes: 5
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Discuss Sugar Creek Glen and the surrounding area here.
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

We've been here twice...

The first time, 4-5 years ago, was really bizarre. We went to the office, explained we wanted to hike up the creek and look at the falls. They rudely responded "NO! The falls are for campers only!" I even offered to pay the amount of money for a campsite (but not camp) and they still wouldn't go for it.

This past summer, we went again. No problem. We were warmly greeted and she told us to have a great time in the creek. Go figure.

The potholes in this creek are really neat.

Chris
Matt
President
President

They recenlty changed ownership, so that would explain the differrent welcomes.
I went there once, the management was friendly, but the campers were very trashy. Lots of beer cans in the creek too. I haven't seen the upper portion of the glen.
cbobcat49

I once was strategizing how to see the glen without going through the campground. 8)

It seems I remember a road upstream that crosses the creek that looks like a good access point for the upper park of the glen. Or it may be easier to just continue upstream past the lower part while you're walking in the creek. I'd have to check the map again.

Chris
wtd

Hey there,

I'm a bit confused, all my life I have heard about a place called 13 Falls aka "Chickens Asshole" and I'm wondering if this place is it... However, I don't believe that it is, since I've always heard that 13 Falls is on private property - and you need some climbing gear to reach some places... I think it is aka "Chickens Asshole" because there is a train tunnel running through part of it...

Anyways, I'm confused because I've always heard that 13 Falls is right outside Dansville / Groveland area...

Anyone know any more information about 13 Falls and / or if Sugar Creek Falls is aka 13 Falls?
Matt
President
President

You are probably referring to pattersons gully.
http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=42.61340,-77 ... 's%20Gully

Private property and seriously off limits
Last edited by Matt on Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cbobcat49

Yes, probably Patterson. We drove by once just out of curiosity to see what the posted signs look like. They mean business... Something like: This area is patrolled regularly by the state police, tresspassers will be arrested, etc.

I know that there's a gully somewhere in WNY that the owner has been quoted as saying "I wish I could have it filled in with concrete for all the trouble it's caused me." I've made the assumption that this is the place. I heard people have died in there.

Chris
Matt
President
President

That's probably one of the more interesting gullies. But it's a shame the owner hasn't explored the options of donating or selling the land to a trust or a governement. hopefully years from now my site will contain the information they would need to make a decision like that.