Lockport area falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I'm exploring the map. I'll be out there next month.
I see this one on the west side: Live Map
Looks to be a 50 ft plunge on gulf creek
Acme Mapper Link

Here we have an unnamed tributary dropping about 100 ft down the Niagara escarpment
Acme Mapper

Dam with falls near mill street, live map

In Royalton Ravine County Park we have an acessible falls. I couldn't see it from above and couldn't get much info on it. The park website does claim to have a falls.
When I explored the aerial photos I saw two.
Is this it?
or this?
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Looks like you found both the falls in Royalton Ravine. They're not very photogenic and the park trails are always filled with mud... even in dry times.
http://www.nyfalls.com/board/viewtopic. ... ton#p15210

As for those other falls, I was completely unaware of them. Which is surprising since they're only about 20 miles north of me! They probably are seasonal and dry up really quick since there isn't really much creek upstream from them, at least according to my gazeteer. Let me know what you find out!
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
hit_thetrails
Junior
Junior

As luck would have it, we had a Time Warner tech here installing cable internet access, and he saw our ginormous map on our wall where we have pinpointed all the falls we have been to. He was amazed, and then said; "Wait! You haven't been to the one right by my house!" Apparently it's in Lockport, too. He says it's about 12 feet tall, very close to Slayton Settlement Rd. between Day Rd. and Wick Rd. Looking at the map, the stream is the SE branch of 18 Mile Creek. So there's another one to explore. He described it as an undeveloped park; not sure if it's private property or not because no park seems to be indicated. Suddenly, flat, boring Niagara County is looking more interesting!
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

It's only flat and boring nowhere near the escarpment. And the wineries. :)
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
Matt
President
President

Geo
Junior
Junior
Camera Model: Canon xsi

I thought sharing this would save some people the terrible walk it takes to get here. I am planning on shooting a pano here, I just have to wait for the right water level.
Anyway, here is lockports underground natural waterfall, as I have not seen a name for it, I call it "Geo's Falls"
enjoy
Geo

looking down the falls, from the top

looking away, from the top
Matt
President
President

Very interesting.
hit_thetrails
Junior
Junior

That's about where he pointed. The "bridge" visible in the picture does not look like it's made for gobs of water to go under it, so I wonder what the average flow might be.