New Quests

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

pgflyer1
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Nikon D5500, P510

While out on a delivery today, I was checking water flow in the soutern tier. Creeks seem to be flowing good ! I plan on shooting a new falls Sunday, if all goes well? Here's a little gem that flows only when water tables are high. Tried to get the best shot with my Nikon L22. It's only about 10 to 12 feet high. I noticed the colors around this one so I took this picture..
175 Falls 001NYF.JPG
175 Falls 001NYF.JPG (17.24 KiB) Viewed 3006 times
There's no half-singing in the shower, you're either a rock star or an opera diva." - Josh Groban
pgflyer1
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

I found a little gem in upsate NY, there is no name for this one. The owner calls it " Sugar Bush Falls ", and at this time doesn't want a lot of visitors coming by. On private property - need permission to get close to it. It's approximately 55 feet tall.
Also planning on shooting pictures of another one in spring, seems this one only flows with lots of rain in area. A third little gem that I'll going back to shortly, to get some more pics & video of in Marietta, NY.

I just bought a bushnell, Backtrack GPS 5. Now I can get my exact locations for map locations.
UPDATE: Backtrack gps 5 was returned not very accurate for me ! Now I have an ECCO 2 Gps and it works GR8 !

Have a nice day !
marty
Last edited by pgflyer1 on Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
There's no half-singing in the shower, you're either a rock star or an opera diva." - Josh Groban
pgflyer1
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

I found this waterfalls by mistake! I went out today to shoot pictures of one I found online. I missed my turn and found it while turning around. It's about 50 feet tall and 30 feet wide. With all the rain we've had the water was flowing pretty good! Once I get permission from owner, I post it's location.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all !
marty
TCR 001 eml.JPG
TCR 001 eml.JPG (11.12 KiB) Viewed 3245 times
pgflyer1
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

I went back to this ravine, because there is a second and third ravine off the main. Here's one of the preliminary photos I shot. Getting permission from owner to shoot pictures from north side of stream.
Falls252012_004 eml.JPG
Falls252012_004 eml.JPG (114.62 KiB) Viewed 2974 times
I have someone interested in going with me to several locations in this area. Another one that I shot a picture is below. Only about 4 to 6 feet wide, but very tall as you can see. With my Eartmate PN-60 GPS, I will be able to get the total height of a falls now. This one is on private land also. And I'll have to access it from two different locations to get the true height.
Falls252012_015 Eml.JPG
Falls252012_015 Eml.JPG (16.98 KiB) Viewed 2974 times
Once weather clears and warms up, it will be time to go back for better pictures. Last week an older gentleman died in Moravia area. Trying to get pictures of Montville and Dresserville falls. Two other younger people slipped into Ithaca gorge also, in separate incidents. BE SAFE - KNOW YOUR LIMITS BEFORE GOING !
Marty
pgflyer1
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

I went back yesterday to Cascade,NY on Route 38 south. As you probably guessed the last picture above is the main falls in Cascade,NY. I took more pictures of several different falls in that area. The main falls doesn't have any posted signs, BUT it has a good 20 foot steep drop to the bottom of the falls near road. The ground is too wet for me to climb down in at this time. My pictures are uploaded to: " www.webshots.com/user/dragon067 ". Album is called: " Cascade Falls Rte 38 ". It will be avaiable later today.
Marty
pgflyer1
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

I've been busy going to some new locations and taking pictures in my areas. My recent finds are posted on my webpage too. The last few places I've been are in areas that have dangerous creek walls or slopes. The owners do not suggest creek walking in these areas. And the owners do not want a lot of people accessing these creeks. So at this time I cannot reveal their locations. I've got permission from owners on most of my albums that were on private land. And one owner even told me where to look for his little gem, that nobody else knew about. It's on a creek that doesn't even show up on any topo maps!! Not even on my DeLorme maps. Here is a picture of the owners little gem! It's about 25 feet wide and about 35 feet tall. And I don't agree to creek walking on private property to get some shots of a falls, because the owner doesn't want to let me in to view. I've read articles on here,where others have done so at some locations. Where's the respect for land owners? Out the window I guess!!
NF 003 Eml.JPG
NF 003 Eml.JPG (71.14 KiB) Viewed 2776 times
pgflyer1
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

"Puddin Mill"
This location was once a very busy place. About 1813 a man named William Marsh had a mill on the west side of the road and north of the creek at the head of the Pudding Mill Gulf. It was a carding mill and clothing works. Apparently this place didn't operate very long.
On the east side of the road and north of Puddin Mill Gulf, Alexander Webster built a distillery before 1819. However, it didn't last very long, "as its owner soon boiled himself to death in his own mash tub."
There was a blacksmith shop and a shoe shop, but after a time the settlement lost its industries to Borodino.
Editor's Note: Remnants of the mill can still be seen on Willowdale Rd., near Rt. 174 in the Town of Spafford. For location purposes, Puddin' Mill was next to what is now Marcheterre's.
10 November 1776, Amos Miner was born in Norfolk, Litchfield County, Conn. He came to this area about 1800. He was an inventor and manufactured accelerating wheel-heads that farmers' wives used on their spinning wheels for making woolen yarn. In 1805 he sold this business and moved to Spafford, where he built a factory where he made wheel-heads, wooden pails, half-bushel measures, wooden dowels, window sash, and wooden puaps and other wooden articles.
Miner sold this business after a time and went to the head of a gulf leading into Otisco Lake where he again built a factory and a grist mill. It was called the "Puddin' Mill" because Miner ground Indian meal, used with "pudding and milk," part of the diet of the early settlers.
"The genius of Miner was particularly illustrated by the manner in which he accumulated and applied the power to run his factory at the mill situated at the head of the Pudding Mill Gulf. The mill was so located on the edge of a precipitous rock that the water coming to his mill passed over a series of three overshot wheels, one above another giving him the accumulated power of three wheels instead of one."
Miner was the type of person who seemed to get a challenge out of inventing things. After everything was working well, he tired of it, and so he sold the Pudding Mill, which was a successful venture. He went on to Mottville, then between Elbridge and Jordan. The last heard from was that with $10,000 he left New York state for the far west leaving others to become really wealthy while operating mills that he had built.
Puddin Mill was still operating in 1902. There was a sawmill nearby.
Note: The Oak Hill Road of Otisco was once a stage coach route from Hamilton to Skaneateles with taverns and business places. Clintonville, Vesper and Tully Center were important places, after 1806 until the railroads appeared.

N 42.87458 W 76.32477 is the location of Puddin Mill. It's on private property, and the owner lives on south-east side of creek. Usually home on Saturdays. My pictures were shot from road. The creek walls are very steep and slippery. A lot of loose shale rock here! Be EXTRA careful if venturing into creek probably be better not to go alone. There is another narrow falls, if you follow the creek around from owners property on the south-east side. There is an old foundation and it's to the left of it. The only way to shoot this one would be from in the creek below. Because it winds down around front right corner of foundation. The falls is about 30 to 40 feet high and about 25 feet wide.
PCM 013 Eml.JPG
PCM 013 Eml.JPG (104.35 KiB) Viewed 2562 times
Marty
pgflyer1
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

Last Sunday I went to Jordan dam falls and tried to take some pictures with my "Fine Pix S3280 camera. Here's a picture of falls. Going out this morning to Guppy falls and another in the area if water is flowing enough?.
DSCF2018 Eml.JPG
DSCF2018 Eml.JPG (39.6 KiB) Viewed 2438 times
Marty