Whitewater rafting at Letchworth

Discuss local parks, preserves and lakes here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Hey, I'm glad you two liked it! The leader doing the introduction seemed kind of out of it today. He didn't talk about "strainers" (downed trees) and other potential problems. But we couldn't have asked for better weather. Temp about 70, no rain, except I felt a few drops at the falls, even some sun. It was sunny the whole day when we went last year and I got burned real bad so this year was actually better. Pencil it in for the first Saturday in May in '09. We go every year! Adventure Calls hosts other cool events throughout the year if you check out their website. Julie and I are going canoeing on Hemlock Lake in June.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

This was a blast. Shana and I are in next year too. Condidtions were perfect. The only thing I regretted was not bringing a water bottle - I took some benedryl in the morning and it sapped me dry. Our guide was nice and actually offered me a bottle- and after that it was perfect.
I'll be honest- I expected more rapids, but I guess if there were more I would be more exhausted.

Shana and I are now looking into picking up kayaking- in hopes of being able to kayak Letchworth and some local streams- and especially the Finger Lakes.

The water was high, but not as high as I expected this year. We didn't get trapped on too many rocks.... not as many as Chris' boat. It was ice cold, but that was refeshing. :up:
cbobcat49

not as many as Chris' boat.
yeah, we had to scold Emily a few times and remind her to keep paddling perpendicular to the boat. Getting stuck 30 seconds after leaving shore was kind of embarrassing. :) :oops:

I'm toying with the idea of getting an inflatable 2 person kayak too. I saw one on craigslist for $150. Even though that's really cheap i'm afraid we won't use it enough to warrant the $150 though. I dunno. :?
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
Matt
President
President

I've been researching the inflatables. There are a lot of crappy ones out there (notably the ones they sell at Walmart and Dick's)
There are a lot of expensive ones too. Way expensive (like $1-2k).
I wouldn't go used.... there are just too many factors - I wouldn't trust my safety to something someone is willing to give up so easily.
From the reviews I have read thus far... SeaEagle brand is the best value for the money.
It's now a question of which one to get.

I figure the $500 investment would encourage use to use it. Luckily in my area there are plenty of places. I also have a goal of kayaking the length of every Finger Lake. I also figure that if we know others with Kayaks, we can meet up for rides.

I'm going to read more... probably buy one of those guide books and learn as much as I can about kayaks and kayaking spots before I buy.

The seaeagle site is great with lots of video and 3d models.... there also have a payment plan system that's very fair.

I'm unsure about how well they perform on Lakes. That I need to know... I want both... but if I had to choose, I would prefer one for lakes... Shana would prefer one for streams.

I like the Explorer series they have, but I think the SE 370 Pro Kayak Package is the way to go for the beginner.
cbobcat49

I also have a goal of kayaking the length of every Finger Lake.
oh, now that would be a cool idea!
I'm going to read more... probably buy one of those guide books and learn as much as I can about kayaks and kayaking spots before I buy.
I think Footprint Press has a Western NY paddling guidebook.
Matt
President
President

I bought the two NY paddling books. I'll let you know if they have any good info.
cbobcat49

Some photos from the trip last weekend...

Group shot before we hit the water...

Sean, Emily and I...

The "other" boat. About to get splashed by me. As Nate eyes me suspiciously. :twisted:

Our friend Yeming. A rafting "rookie" :)

At Paddler's Cascade. This is the very last falls on Wolf Creek before it enters the river.

My crazy brother-in-law Andrew right after doing a cannonball into the plunge pool at the falls...

Shana & Matt...

Emily & Julie...

Me & Julie...

Yeming & Andrew...
ShanaD

That was totalyl a great time and I really like the photos. Thanks for sharing them. We will let you know when we get our kayaks and maybe we can plan a trip at one of the fingerlakes. Yay! :D