Rochester's Lower/Middle Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Rate Rochester's Lower/Middle Falls

1 - Ugly, Not worth the trip
17%
2 - Could be better
17%
3 - OK, See it if you are in the area
33%
4 - Beautiful, worth the trip.
33%
5 - Must see, worth revisiting
No votes

Total votes: 6
sd40
Rookie
Camera Model: Nikon D5000, Olympus E-510, Panasonic DMC-L10

I'll add: WOW. The day started at -12 below south of Avon. I would not have gone out to the river in this cold for anything. Hats off! I especially like the first shot on the 24th. I feel the cold.
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Yikes man! Hate to say it but with the speed of the moving water...I don't think waders would have done much for you. Id be very interested in going sometime...but would not want to go alone. If you'd like some company...I might be up for that.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
jroz
Junior
Junior

hobkyl wrote:Yikes man! Hate to say it but with the speed of the moving water...I don't think waders would have done much for you.
Not to mention hypothermia. Sometimes people's disregard for safety baffles me...
Bill_K
VIP
VIP
Camera Model: Panasonic DMC-FZ8 and Canon Rebel XSi

Nuts but, the shots were worth it. :up:
One nice thing about the cold...it keeps the hookers, crack heads and pimps out of the parking area.
To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.
*Giorgio de Chirico*
http://www.flickr.com/photos/walking_trails/
http://www.redbubble.com/people/billk
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

Gosh, it really wasn't that bad guys. I think i am not communicating well. I could clearly see elevated rock 2-4 feet above water level, just before the growth line starts at the shore.So I knew the whole time I was above the water and at the shoreline. As someone noted already, fishermen regularly use this trail and hike the same route i took, directly to the falls to fish. As an aside, the waders are the best winter glen climbing investment this year. Very warm. Except for the shutter-finger hand I was very toasty the whole time down there. Honestly. If someone wants to go some weekend, please let me know. david
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

$111M RG&E upgrade occurring in Genesee River gorge
In the lowest level of Station 5, hand-laid walls of beautiful cut stone bring to mind the foundation of an old farmhouse, or a musty catacomb.

Nearby hangs a collection of huge wrenches, once used to tighten giant bolts but now, tarnished by time, serving only as a reminder that Station 5, a hydroelectric generating plant hidden away in the Genesee River gorge, has been around a very long time.

Rochester Gas and Electric Corp., which has owned the plant since the current version was opened nearly a century ago, is in the latter stages of a $111 million upgrade of Station 5, the largest of three hydroelectric facilities the company operates in Rochester.
more here
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/art ... iver-gorge
Artist4God
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: FUJI S3200

Some photos I took of Rochester's High, Middle and Lower Falls in August of 2011. Enjoy! (Trying to remember how to add videos too...help!)
High/Upper Falls
High/Upper Falls
Middle Falls
Middle Falls
Lower Falls
Lower Falls
Middle Falls Panorama
Middle Falls Panorama
God bless you and yours!
Rose
www.Artist4God.net
Artist4God
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: FUJI S3200

"Approaching Light"... Absolutely STUNNING shots! Thanks for sharing them here! God bless. Rose
God bless you and yours!
Rose
www.Artist4God.net