Letchworth State Park

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Rate Letchworth State Park

1 - Ugly, Not worth the trip
3%
2 - Could be better
No votes
3 - OK, See it if you are in the area
5%
4 - Beautiful, worth the trip
13%
5 - Must see, worth revisiting
79%

Total votes: 39
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Discuss Letchworth State Park and included waterfalls here.
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

Great place for camping - often times in the high season you must reserve months in advance. The cabin camping (from reserve america) is really nice. It's also a great place to go mountain biking and of course, hiking....

Really one of my favorite parks. I love going there around mid-May, right before the big crowds and when the leaves start coming out. The place is dripping with Native American history as well -(the White Woman of the Genesee) and interesting facts about the Mount Morris dam down there that prevents Rochester from flooding like it used to.
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

apparently there are hundreds of cascades, big and small just waiting to be mapped.. Hopefully within a few years and through the combined efforts of this community, we'll have photos, names and locations of each.
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

mconheady wrote:apparently there are hundreds of cascades, big and small just waiting to be mapped.. Hopefully within a few years and through the combined efforts of this community, we'll have photos, names and locations of each.
Past the upper falls, there's a gorgeous one, you have to walk up the gorge to get to it....I'm not sure what the official policy of the state park system is concerning walking the gorge in Letchworth - but we might want to research that before we map and lead anyone to places...I'm not even sure if the place I was, was technically a place I was suppose to be :)
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Don't worry. You were definitely in a place you were allowed to be. There's a lot of intermittent falls spilling into the gorge at Letchworth. The one upstream from Upper Falls you saw was probably Timber Tunnel Cascade. There's a little bit of a trail system on the east side of the park. Hardly anyone knows about it because its undeveloped. You can get interesting views of the 3 main falls from this side. Drive over the bridge over the river in Portageville and the trailhead is immediately on the left. Another notable falls is Deh-ga-ya-soh Falls. The Freeman's book devotes about 20 pages to all the Letchworth falls. Also Scott Ensminger (Falzguy) wrote a book about Letchworth falls which in now out of print, but I bought a pdf copy of it from him last year. Here are photos of Timber Tunnel and Deh-ga-ya-soh.

ImageImage
cbobcat49

cbobcat49

hmm, I can't seem to post pictures. I've done it before.
tjconheady
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Canon Powershot S3

i corrected it, make sure that you're links have the .jpg in them to be recognized as images
TJC

www.conheady.net...a cleaner, less biased, less censored, less-Matted forum