Letchworth State Park

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Rate Letchworth State Park

1 - Ugly, Not worth the trip
3%
2 - Could be better
No votes
3 - OK, See it if you are in the area
5%
4 - Beautiful, worth the trip
13%
5 - Must see, worth revisiting
79%

Total votes: 39
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Nice ones, Yvonne! How does one do a "quick trip" to Letchworth?! :lol:

Is the first one taken at Wolf Creek?
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
americanhero
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Canon S95, Canon D10, Nikon D90

Kelly wrote:Nice ones, Yvonne! How does one do a "quick trip" to Letchworth?! :lol:

Is the first one taken at Wolf Creek?

Kelly, I was on my way to Stony Brook that day. Had classes until 4pm, so it was a late start that afternoon.
And I wanted to check out Letchworth, at least for a little while. I"m planning a complete and full day for the next few weeks.
And yes, the first one is along Wolf Creek. Just after the foot bridge.
Yvonne Baur Photography

my photo stream on flickr: Yvonne Baur
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Historic Letchworth bridge is on the edge of elimination
For more than five generations, visitors to Letchworth State Park have ignored "No trespassing" signs -- and, occasionally, freight trains -- to walk onto an iron-and-steel bridge and gaze 245 feet below into the tree-studded, Genesee River gorge.

That could soon end.

The owner, claiming the 136-year-old bridge has become obsolete, wants to tear it down and build a modern, arched rail bridge 75 feet to the south.
More here:
http://www.buffalonews.com/incoming/article651143.ece
Matt
President
President

Rendering of what the new bridge will look like

http://thedailynewsonline.com/news/arti ... 963f4.html
Matt
President
President

Ohio man credited with daring Letchworth Park rescue

LETCHWORTH STATE PARK — An Ohio man has been credited with a daring rescue which saved another person’s life on Sunday.
Vincent Gill, 19, was visiting the park with family members when he heard witnesses yelling that a man had fallen into the Genesee River and was going underwater, state Park Police said.

The rescue happened in the dangerous area between the park’s upper and middle falls.
Abdulma Alhari, 26, of Rochester was in an area below the upper falls which is closed to the public, when he slipped and fell into the river, park police said.
Gill, 19, is a trained lifeguard. He ran to the area and quickly swam to Alhari, who was underwater when Gill reached him.
Gill grabbed Alhari and swam him to shore, using his lifeguard training and experience. Besides the falls, park police said the stretch has misleading currents.
Park police said Gill’s actions “very likely” prevented a tragedy. They’re nominating him for a civilian lifesaving award.
Alhari was examined by local rescue crews and reported no injuries. He was ticketed for entering property closed to the public.
Source: http://thedailynewsonline.com/news/arti ... 963f4.html
Matt
President
President

Cool article...

The day the river roared
PORTAGEVILLE — Bill Totsline remembers when his family got the warning.
He and his parents in their house on River Road about 8 or 9 p.m., when fire chief Bill West arrived amid a heavy downpour, on ground which was already soaked.
The swollen Genesee River was turning into a monster, and West was telling people to leave.
“I remember him coming down that night and saying the flood was already in Fillmore, and was starting to go into the houses there,” Totsline said. “He said, ‘You better pretty much get out of here.’ And of course my father packed us up and we were out of here.”
the rest here:
http://thedailynewsonline.com/news/arti ... f887a.html
George
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Nikon D300, Calumet 4x5

I'm going to have two full days and two quarter days in the park the first weekend in June, camping in the campground. What are your recommendations for an itinerary? Let's say 10 miles of hiking per day max on the full days. And how about light conditions - are any features best photographed in morning or evening?

Thanks
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Being that all the main falls are in the wide open gorge, its my school of thought they all deserve early morn or evening lighting. Not to say they aren't fun or worthy to photograph all day long, just my opinion. As far as trails, unfortunately I cannot help you too much. The park website has a very good trail map that would give you some options to choose from. The majority of trails are short...say less than 3 miles, a good portion of those less than 1 mile. You could break up sections of the FLT if you wanted something longer. Have fun!
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook