Now a 46er

Discuss local parks, preserves and lakes here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

After many trips to the Adirondacks with nights spent in hotel rooms or backpacking along with hundreds of miles walked in all seasons, many delightful people I’ve met along the way, a fair amount of money spent, and 6 years of time I became a 46er on Sunday. I finished on Hough Mountain in the Dix range. We climbed Macomb, South Dix, East Dix, Hough, and Dix. We logged 15 plus miles on Sunday, all though the parking lot was full we only met a few people. The slide on Macomb was like no other slide I’ve seen or been on. It was all loose rock and sand. At just over ½ a mile long and 1000 feet gain it was neat to say the least. We celebrated or 46th peak on Hough with a bottle of Saranac Octoberfest.

East Dix from Hough

Macomb Slide

People on the slide

Elk Lake from above

The Great Range and Colvin Range from Hough
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

Wow! Congratulations! What an accomplishment! Oh, and gorgeous photos!
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

Thank you Brenda
It was a great day to be in the mountains.
my flickr gallery
46er interview
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

only 46? ;)
Congratulations! That's a lot more than me (zero).
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Congratulations! Great shots too! I've got 4 done. Marcy, Skylight, Cascade and Porter. Not that I'm actually trying to get all 46. Does Little Porter count as a 46er? I can't remember. If that's the case then I've got 5.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert

Thanks guys,
Matt there is 46 peaks over 4000 feet, well a couple under and a couple over but when they surveyed the peaks in the early 1900’s they came up with 46 peaks. So to become a 46er you have to climb all of them and report to a correspondent. In completing them you do more then 46 hence the book called “The other 54” :up:

Chris little porter doesn’t count :( . I remember doing Cascade and Porter in February of 04 (I looked up the date), the temperature was a bone chilling minus 28 it was a good thing the winds were calm for the mountains or it could have been nasty. But I got some great pictures crystal clear dark blue skies. Marcy I did in June 03 and it rained all day and had sleet on top not much to see that day. Skylight was great I tried once in the winter but failed thus we went back in the summer and stayed in the Up HIll Lean-to and did Skylight, Gray, Cliff and Redfield.
my flickr gallery
46er interview
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Does it still count if I pay someone to rickshaw me up those?
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

I just came across this article...

http://www.hamilton.edu/news/more_news/ ... m?ID=14627

Looks like this group tried to do a simultaneous ascent of all 46 in one weekend. They managed to get 41.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau