Grimes Glen - Naples

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Rate Grimes Glen

1 - Ugly, Not worth the trip
No votes
2 - Could be better
No votes
3 - OK, See it if you are in the area
8%
4 - Beautiful, worth the trip
17%
5 - Must see, worth revisiting
75%

Total votes: 12
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

I would think they be 100% sure to put her on her butt. Especially on the smooth slippery walk up Tannery. I slip and fall almost everytime there!
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon Rebel T1i / Samsung S730

I love the colors Matt!

I wish I'd had more time to shoot when I was there this spring. I was there with a relative newbie to waterfalling. The flow was _very_ high and he was kinda anxious to get outta there. We did make it all the way to the 3rd falls and back, [insanely] crossing the creek several times along the way... super strong current in water up to our knees (and higher in some spots)... It was crazy, but so much fun. Neither one of us fell in or were otherwise "surprised" which is always a bonus. If I were to do it again, I'd probably rope off to a tree before getting into the water, and I'd likely stop and get some video from the middle of the creek while I was at it. :) If I didn't know Grimes Glen as well as I do, I wouldn't have even though of hiking in those conditions.

And no, Matt (Conheady) & Kyle, I didn't climb the first falls that day. I'm crazy, but not _completely_ off the deep end! :) I scrambled up the left flank instead! :) Shot some video from there but it came out crappy.
-----
spec
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Walking bridge being built at Grimes Glen
The construction of a new walking bridge is under way at the entrance to Grimes Glen, part of $80,000 worth of upgrades planned for the “passive park” owned by Ontario County.

The park is to be kept wild, with minimal man-made influence or structures. The 23-acre gorge, with its waterfalls, forest and unique vegetation, was purchased by Finger Lakes Land Trust in 2005 and donated to Ontario County to manage as a public park — with the land trust holding a conservation easement on the property to restrict development.

The steel bridge being built near the glen’s entrance on Vine Street will be 5 feet wide and equipped with railings and a floor with openings to see through, said Bill Wright, Ontario County public works commissioner. Though the bridge won’t lead to a trail, it should offer a safe, scenic lookout spot to enjoy a view of the gorge and the water, he said. To reach the waterfalls, it will still be necessary to walk in the water and on the rocks, he said, due to the steep slopes.
More here
http://www.mpnnow.com/news/x1138520806/ ... rimes-Glen
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Twas there yesterday, bridge is gone but there is timber spanning the creek that the workers use to work on the foundations for the new bridge. While the trail may not be official, I would have to disagree and say that the bridge will/does lead to a trail, one that is well worn and keeps you dry all the way up to the first falls. Nice to see a significant amount being spent there for upgrades, perhaps the state will take notice and do the same with the state operated parks.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President

I guess they are building it where the old (red) footbridge was?
Matt
President
President

Went there a few weeks ago. What happen to that footbridge? It was gone when I went. I thought they rebuilt it already.

Did anyone ever see this mill that used to tap the waters of Grimes Glen?

I didn't know there existed any mills along Grimes until I did some research on old maps for NYH.
Found the old race route and the site of a few mills. When I went down there, I found this. The old mill race from Grimes Glen is filled in and part of it is Mill St and Wall Street.
This old mill, which has the mill wheel preserved on the ground right alongside, is adjacent to the public parking area downtown. There's a small metal sign on it that just says "historic building." It seems vacant. I did research but could only find that this possibly could have last been a company called "Ontario Mills." Need verification on that.
In 1904, a map lists the property as owned by B. L. Clark.
Matt
President
President

Grimes Glen walking bridge to have murals by artist Darryl Abraham
A new 40-foot-long walking bridge over Grimes Glen, complete with murals created by artist Darryl Abraham, is set to be installed next week. Ontario County public works crews have been working for months to complete the bridge that will replace an old, broken one that was taken down at the entrance to the county-owned Grimes Glen Park off Vine Street.

The new bridge is paid for with a $44,000 federal grant through the state Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation.
the rest here...
http://www.mpnnow.com/topstories/x25595 ... yl-Abraham

some of his work
http://www.naplesopenstudiotrail.com/darrylabraham.html
Matt
President
President