Ithaca Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Rate Ithaca Falls

1 - Ugly, Not worth the trip
No votes
2 - Could be better
No votes
3 - OK, See it if you are in the area
10%
4 - Beautiful, worth the trip.
45%
5 - Must see, worth revisiting
45%

Total votes: 20
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

Of course, I'm all about the clean up and reclaiming the site but as silly as it may sound, I really hope that they can salvage the smokestack. It's been a part of the Ithaca skyline for my entire life, to say nothing of the historical aspect. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I have a soft spot for Ithaca Guns, and this may well be the only thing left to honor them, beyond those of us who actually own one.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Ithaca Gun cleanup costs rise with high barium levels
Roughly half of the demolished brick from the Ithaca Gun factory will have to be trucked off-site, but because of barium, not lead.

The unexpected high readings for barium throughout the building mean that 40-50 percent of the debris will be taken away, increasing the cost of the demolition by "several hundred thousand dollars," Peter Grevelding, senior vice president of Developers & Professional Services at engineering firm O'Brien & Gere, told members of the Ithaca Gun Community Advisory Group Monday night.
Continued...
http://www.theithacajournal.com/article ... /901270327
Winnie
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D3100 & Canon A4000 IS

This does not suprize me!
Matt
President
President

Gun Factory Clean-Up Site Raises Issues
The scene enclosed by the chain link and barbed wire fence surrounding the 2.1 acre property at 121-125 Lake Street represents your typical demolition site – save for a few transformers leaking dielectric fluid, federally-mandated aerosol lead monitors stationed around the perimeter and signs that read: [e]“Danger: Asbestos, Cancer and Lung Disease Hazard. Authorized Personnel Only."[/e]

More than two years after receiving a demolition order from the U.S. Department of Environmental Conservation, demolition of the 125 year old, condemned and dilapidated factory that formerly housed the Ithaca Gun Company is finally nearing completion. Although most long-term residents of Tompkins County are thrilled to see the neighborhood blight demolished — it had become a store-house for graffiti as a significant fire hazard –– the demolition has raised concerns over the management of on-site toxins, the products of over 100 years of firearm production and testing.

Prior to a $4.8 million remediation effort led by the Environmental Protection Agency between 2002 and 2004 with Superfund resources, these contaminants included lead levels as high as 215,000 parts per million (500 times the recommended level), as well as asbestos, arsenic, mercury and uranium, The Sun reported in 2007. However,[e]the EPA’s clean-up was incomplete, and subsequent soil testing revealed residual lead-contaminated areas[/e], trichloroethylene contamination, as well as toluene levels at over 1000 times the recommended value.

Walter Hang, president of the Ithaca-based company Toxics Targeting, which specializes in mapping environmental hazards throughout New York State for potential property owners, believes that the current demolition and redevelopment plans do not adequately address the remaining high levels of contamination. He considers the project severely under-funded, under-planned and an overall deficient environmental remediation effort, in addition to posing a significant threat to public health. He has called the poject, “a wholly inadequate cleanup.”
continued here: http://cornellsun.com/section/news/cont ... ses-issues
americanhero
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Canon S95, Canon D10, Nikon D90

Ithaca Falls shots taken on October 11 shortly after sunset

Yvonne Baur Photography

my photo stream on flickr: Yvonne Baur
Matt
President
President

great shots. I was just there this past weekend. Not nearly the flow that you had.
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

I was just going through pictures from the summer and noticed that the ruins of the old power plant next to Triphammer Falls are gone. When did this happen? I was last there in '03 and it was there. Did this have something to do with the old gun factory?
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
bish
Junior
Junior

Got these shots of Ithaca Falls in early fall, right before the apple festival. The same weekend I got some shots of upper Buttermilk falls also.
Attachments
Buttermilk
Buttermilk
tn_Buttermilk cascades 3_2_3.jpg (51.2 KiB) Viewed 4171 times
Buttermilk
Buttermilk
tn_Buttermilk cascades4_2_3.jpg (58.16 KiB) Viewed 4171 times
Ithaca Falls
Ithaca Falls
tn_Ithaca Falls with leaves.jpg (88.23 KiB) Viewed 4171 times