Awosting Falls NY

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Wow.. that's a lot of water! Thanks for posting!
mattring
Rookie

Some great photos of this waterfall.

On the map, it looks like it is right on the roadway, is that true? Is it easy to find once you are in the park? Any advice would be much appreciated for a Minnewaska newbie.

Thanks!!
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Amazing, I've never seen it with that much water. I bet the ones downstream were really blasting.

These falls are inside the park itself, but just off the road. The best bet is to go into the main park entrance, then after paying at the booth, take an immediate right turn and drive a bit down the access road to the horse trailer parking lot, it's called "Old Minnewaska Trail" on the map. Sometimes in summer, it's entrance is open as well. This is the closest you can park to the falls, I think, I'm pretty sure you can't park along the road to the lake and definitely not on the main road outside the park. Walk back down the access road, past the entrance booth, then take a right on the road to the lake, then just after crossing the stream, take a left on the old carriage road. This will take you along the stream to the top of the falls, and the road continues on around a couple of switchbacks to the bottom of the falls. After you've had your fill of this one, you can follow the road out to the main road (there is no driving on these carriage roads, walking & I think biking only), cross the main road, and follow the stream to the top of Sheldon falls. I think there may be a herd path, it's been a while, but I don't think there's an official trail. You may need to walk along the main road for a bit then cut down to the falls after looking at some of the smaller falls above the main falls. There's an old power station & dam to explore, and a few more nice waterfalls downstream if you want to explore further. You can also park at one of the lots below the power station (Trapps parking I think it's called) and hike to the stream from there and follow it up. A car at each end would be nice for this.
LGD
Mystiqz
Rookie
Camera Model: Canon 5d Mk 2, 16-35mm II, 70-200 vI

My own experience with getting to the falls.

Awosting Falls:
Directions:
1. West on 44 55 Main Street
2. Make a Left onto Old Minnewaska Trail

This is really easy to get to once you park in the right area. You park at the end of Old Minnewaska Trail then walk back to the entrance but make a right and then a left to start heading down towards the waterfall. It's a short little hike but it's an extremely easy hike. For this waterfall, I would say it's good for beginner photographers who are starting out waterfall photography. One easy waterfall drop, few angles that you can compose your photo without getting wet and easy to get to. What more could you ask for? After you take your photos at the bottom, on your hike back up, I suggest stopping halfway on the way back up because the layering of the water over the stone formations is much better. It's the last stone formation before the big drop. I think the various layering/dimensions to the rock accentuates the flow of water.
Approximate google coordinates for the waterfall: 41.734397, -74.238528 (+41° 44' 3.83", -74° 14' 18.70")