Rattlesnake Gulf, Tully Vally, Onondaga County

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Rate Rattlesnake Gulf

1 - Ugly, Not worth the trip
No votes
2 - Could be better
No votes
3 - OK, See it if you are in the area
No votes
4 - Beautiful, worth the trip.
33%
5 - Must see, worth revisiting
67%

Total votes: 3
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Otisco camp owner: 'Blue Hole' is dangerous, 17 arrested for trespassing in 2 years
OTISCO, N.Y. -- The natural pool known at the "Blue Hole," where a 19-year-old woman drowned Wednesday, has been a beautiful and dangerous destination in southwestern Onondaga County for decades.

Over the years several people people have died at the swimming hole, which is on private property and not open to the public.

Paul Adams owns Adams Eden Camp. The southern edge of the 328-acre camp includes Falls Creek and the Blue Hole, he said. The swimming hole is about 22 feet deep. The area can be extremely dangerous after heavy rainfall.

Adams said he and his neighbors have put up scores of signs warning people not to go to the Blue Hole.

"We're trying to save kids' lives," he said.

People still sneak in, however. In the last year and a half Adams said he has had 17 people arrested for trespassing.

On Wednesday morning 19-year-old Kayla M. Fulmer, of Jamesville, arrived at Adams Eden Camp with six friends and asked to go hiking. The camp is open to day hikers and has miles of trails.

Adams talked with the Fulmer and her friends. He said they were very friendly. He said Fulmer spent some time petting the pet rabbits one of Adams' sons keeps. She was interested in buying one for a pet. Adams said he told Fulmer he would think about it and the group went off hiking.

Fulmer drowned in the Blue Hole later Wednesday. The New York State Police have said her death appeared to be accidental.

At least two other people have died swimming in that area over the last few decades and others have been injured.

In August 1984 17-year-old Mark Karpinski drowned in the swimming hole, according to a Herald-Journal article. Karpinski, who was one of the best junior golfers in the state, was on the golf and basketball teams at Westhill High School.

He jumped from a 15-foot waterfall into the swimming hole and struggled against the strong current for several minutes. Two friends were unable to save him. Divers who recovered Karpinski 's body found the current -- which had been strengthened by rain that morning -- was so strong it knocked the masks off their faces.

In August 2003 28-year-old Robert G. Stell, of Wayne County, left a party at night and went swimming with some friends at a waterfall on the creek. Stell jumped into the water and began struggling to surface. He tried to grab rocks to get out of the water, but was pulled underwater by the current and swept away.

Adams said people have been sneaking into the Blue Hole for decades and nothing seems to work to keep people away. He said he plans to keep putting up more signs warning of the danger, but that Fulmer's death was especially hard.

"It's absolutely devastating."
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic