Rattlesnake Gulf, Tully Vally, Onondaga County

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Rate Rattlesnake Gulf

1 - Ugly, Not worth the trip
No votes
2 - Could be better
No votes
3 - OK, See it if you are in the area
No votes
4 - Beautiful, worth the trip.
33%
5 - Must see, worth revisiting
67%

Total votes: 3
Mark J
Senior
Senior

Great pics and report by Hobkyl! Does anyone know if it is once again possible to hike Rattlesnake Gulf from Tully Farms Rd up to the falls? I have not been there since the landslide.

Mark J
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

Mark J wrote:Great pics and report by Hobkyl! Does anyone know if it is once again possible to hike Rattlesnake Gulf from Tully Farms Rd up to the falls? I have not been there since the landslide.

Mark J
Mudslide did do a number down low - for the sake of the landowners and insurance purposes, they want people hiking from their camp per their directions from the blue hole down, which i think is reasonable since they will then know who is on their land and when
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Page 14 of that USGS report shows a 30ft waterfall on Rainbow Creek that failed and is now gone.
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Update from the owner:
We’ve re-routed our stream trail so that it no longer includes the Blue Hole (Rattlesnake Gulf, Otisco). We’ve had too many trespassers and people who will not respect the rules so we’ve had to take the privilege away….kinda sad but necessary to keep people safe.
Mark J
Senior
Senior

Several years ago I had a fascination with this place. This first time I was there was a few days after a highly publicized drowning. The last time I was there, perhaps two years ago, it creeped me out. While it's unfortunate that the current owners are no longer allowing public access, there are plenty of better falls to visit. The real dangers at the Blue Hole are not some much the waterfall itself, but the unstable sheer cliffs and the danger of flash floods. The legends behind the place plus the intriguing names of both the falls and the gulf created added attention.
Mark J
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

Unfortunate drowning there today, at Blue Hole
http://www.syracuse.com/crime/index.ssf ... rt_m-rpt-1