Tannery Creek

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

jroz
Junior
Junior

bremer wrote:Nice! I hadn't noticed that new log in Kyles last shots. I'm guessing its one of those that spent the past several years stuck at the larger falls upstream. Chances are it will spend the next 5 years hanging out at this one, "messing up" the perfect shot, although that will of course depend on how you see it. It works quite well in your shots :up:
Thanks, I figured I might as well use it to my advantage and get some different angles. :D
jroz
Junior
Junior

hobkyl wrote:Wonderful shots Judy!

The left side is definitely the way to go. There is a well worn path on that side. The rope has been there 10 years or more, is rotted, and there are NO good foot holds leading up to it. It's sketchy to say the least.

I agree about the log jam. I had a difficult time navigating over/under that.

Thanks! I could tell the path looked like it was more used, but I wasn't sure about the top part...was hard to see standing further down just how it would be. I saw the other person come down it backwards, and they told me "it's not that bad" however they were not carrying the amount of stuff I was. That makes navigating a bit different (especially around the log jam) :P

My foot got stuck between a rock and one branch while I was at Tannery (just noticed a briuse now), and I've gotten stuck maneuvering around trees more than once. :lol:
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Flow was a bit higher 3 weeks ago
HaloGirl
Veteran Board Expert
Veteran Board Expert
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX10 IS & Applie iPhone

Beautiful, Matt. :)
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Nice, Matt! Especially love the one with the boots! :up:
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

hey these are really nice. Fun, different and great detail. Bring it on!
david
TexMontana
Rookie
Camera Model: Canon 5d MKii

Hey all!
FYI this site is great!

This past Saturday I headed down to Tannery and had an awesome time hiking the creek. with the rain the night before the water was moving at a nice pace but made things slick and the scree on the walls was very loose and sliding/falling

I ran into only one person about 30 minutes of walking. We chatted for a while and he explained to me that he found this creek thru this website. We both laughed cause that was how I found it as well. And ended up hiking the rest of the way together

I just have a coule pics to post. I didn't take many at all Since it was my first time in the creek and I spent more time staring at the scenery....

Reading back over these posts... I kinda wish the log was still on the second tier of the falls in the pic above.... Myself and my new hiking companion decided to climb over or attempt to originally lol.... We scurried along the wall of the Glenn to the right side of the falls and came to the second tier. Decided that walking across to what looked like a rope was not going to happen... So we went behind the fall and climbed up. Not to bad. The rocks were slippery but we were able to find foot holds and pull ourselves up the teft top portion and continued up and over grabbing onto roots and stone ....

We continued on for probably 40 minutes checking things out till I found a posted sign. Figured that was as good a time as any to head back...

Here's a couple pics I shot above the falls

Returning back to the falls in my first pic was a worrisome endeavor for sure.....
I tried coming back down the way I went up from behind the falls but I could not for the life of me gain a foot hold ... Funny how going up seemed so easy...
So I went a bit further left toms scurrie down the left side to the second tier. The steel cable that was hanging from the tree was a bit dangerous... You cannot truly get a grip of that cable because it steel..and wet!!!! I slooooooowly decend down the wall to the flat area. The water was moving pretty fast and the rock was very slick... I couldn't just walk across... I ended up getting on hands and knees and crawling across while being hammered by the falls. I could tell that if I wasn't careful I would definitely have been pulled right over

It felt awesome and scary as hell at the same time

Currently until there is a safer way to cross or climb I would not recommend trying to get atop this fall at all. I'm super cautious and slow so this took me 30 minutes to do.. Maybe to cautious but I did wanna survive lol

Looking forward to returning back to this site now that I've seen it once and take the hike up to the falls a bit more slowly and take some more photos