Tannery Creek

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Perhaps youre on to something Bremer. I agree that the 2 tiered falls is most likely at marker C. Tannery Creek Rd ends at the barns and that would be marker D. I used bing maps and you can see a construction business at that curve. I recall after climbing over the 2 tier falls and walking 15-20mins more up the creek, coming back and climbing out there instead of going back down the falls. I walked through that business' lot and out to Rt 53 and back down to Naples where I had parked my car (before I knew you could park at the town barns).

Also while playing around with bing maps it appears that the gully does become narrow and deepens once further past the falls although as I remember it, it was shallow.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

oh, you're right! I didn't even see that D at the top of your map before. D is definitely the maintenance area.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
hobkyl

I went over the 2 tier falls Saturday...there are some small falls up there (less than 10'). I hiked about 30mins above the main falls.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Are they worth trying to see by a scaredy cat afraid of falling like me or should I wait for someone else to post photos? :) :blackcat:
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
hobkyl

Ill try to get pics up before I leave for the weekend...but no I dont think they are worth while...you see 2 falls that are very similar on the way to the 2 tier falls.
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
hobkyl

Heres two falls above the main falls...less than 8' each.

--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
bremer
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 230

I don't remember how long the walk was (maybe about 20 min or so?) but if you go far enough you'll reach the large falls that can be seen in the aerial. I'll bet you were really close when you turned around Kyle! When you reach an area of the creek that is filled up with slide material and trees, you just have to find your way through it and the large falls is around the next bend. I know it doesn't look like it in the photos but this isnt much shorter than the first big 2-tiered falls where most people stop. The top portion is over 20 ft. Theres no way up at (for me at least) without a lot of backtracking and the north bank, which is climbable not too far downstream, is posted. The south bank is generally steeper and I walked downstream quite a ways before finding a climbable spot. When I reached the top I found some trails and it looked liked I might be near a house so I went back down. Anyhow, looking at the topo I dont think there can be much more but I would like to find out sometime. Unfortunately I drove all the way from syracuse without a tripod so I didnt take many pictures.

[img2]http://images2e.snapfish.com/232323232% ... 6347nu0mrj[/img2]
[img2]http://images2e.snapfish.com/232323232% ... 3347nu0mrj[/img2]
[img2]http://images2e.snapfish.com/232323232% ... 4347nu0mrj[/img2]
"Now I see the Secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth" - W. Whitman
Roots Photography
hobkyl

Wow, I think I know right about where that must be. I didnt see any posted signs but just had a gut feeling I was on private land when I turned around...right before a sharp bend.

Nice falls :up:
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook