Tannery Creek

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Beautiful. I've really got to get back to that place some time soon.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
HaloGirl
Veteran Board Expert
Veteran Board Expert
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX10 IS & Applie iPhone

Great photos!
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I once did a field study in college there. Long before I was into photography. I haven't been there since. Great photos!
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

NICE - that does have some wonderful waterfalls it seems - very wild. Reminds me of Peppermill Gulf
bremer
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 230

Curious to know if anyone has ever visited "upper" tannery creek? By upper I mean past the 2-tiered falls with the trees that have been stuck in the middle for years. I climbed the falls a couple years ago but was with someone uncomfortable with trying it, so I came back down. Anyhow from the topo/aerial photo there is obviously a lot more to see including what looks like at least one more very big fall at marker B. The first big falls everyone refers to are at marker C.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=42.59946,-77 ... aples%20NY

I was at tannery this weekend but the flow was too much and it wasn't possible to walk across the middle section of the first big falls without getting swept away. I also drove up E- Hill road looking for access (Ruth's waterfalls said there was access here) but it looked like unabomber territory and most of the land was posted.
"Now I see the Secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth" - W. Whitman
Roots Photography
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

I think your C is the first small falls at the entrance to the creek behind the town maintenance building and B is actually the large falls at the end of the hike. Either way, there's most probably more falls beyond that. Whether they're accessable or not is another story. I just checked the entry on Ruth's site. www.naturalhighs.net It says you need to lower yourself down by a cable. :fear:
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Ive hiked Tannery several times....Im pretty sure the 2 tiered falls is the end of the road. Ive climbed over them and the gully becomes pretty shallow. Ive hiked maybe 15-20 minutes past them and didnt find anything. A cable? Never had to use one....
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
bremer
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 230

It does look like that fall is pretty far upstream from the first big falls, probably 3 times as far coming from the maintenance building, but I'm pretty sure its a fall and not an illusion. The maintenance building is actually back at the D marker. Theres not a very good angle from Bing and you can't see much except that the gully is deep at that point. Will try to check it out sometime this spring/summer.
"Now I see the Secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth" - W. Whitman
Roots Photography