Tannery Creek

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Wonderful creek walk at the southern end of Naples. Go south on 21 in Naples, and find Tannery Creek Road on your left, follow that road to the Naples Town Highway Dept and park at the far end of the parking lot. Be sure not to park in the way of their operations. Go to the east corner of the parking lot behind the garages and find a short trail down to the creekbed. The whole walk will be in the water, with few if any chances to get on ground. You will come across many small cascades, as well as a 8 footer. Keep on going and be blessed with Tannery Creek's treasure. You can walk behind the upper falls, while the lower is more like a slide. Large pool to wade in at the base, and you are secluded by the high cliff walls. Alot of water even in August.
New camera, new photographer...but not a new waterfall explorer. Hopefully I can get some more on here in the near future.
Attachments
IMG_0176-1.JPG
101_0522.JPG
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Tannery Creek is a place I definitely want to revisit. Whenever we're in the Naples area we head straight to Grimes and Conklin and never have time for Tannery. We were there last summer or the year before but it was right after a rain and the footing was real bad so we didn't go far upstream.

Chris
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
hobkyl

I know what you mean, I've ended up at Conklin many a times. But have recently been drawn to Tannery more often. I've never seen anyone else there, which is nice as the others in Naples tend to crowd up. Clarks can be ok too. However it lacks water. When was the last time you were at Grimes? I tried to go there about 3 weeks ago, and there was a DEC car there, and the gate was closed with a no trespassing sign on it. Waited for a bit to see if officer would return to their car so I could ask them what was up. I even called the region office and could'nt get an answer.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
cbobcat49

what??? I thought Grimes was owned by the Finger Lakes Land Trust? This is one of my favorite spots in the Finger Lakes. Let us know if you find out anything more about this.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I was at grimes a few month ago... FLLT sign was not present. They had a campaign to buy the land but it may not have gone completely through - or the DEC may have taken over.

I hiked Tannery back in college for a stream ecology study- I don't remember much of it. Never done it since.. Started going up Conklin earlier this summer but ran out of time. Did come away with some good photos of what I did see. Anyone up for a fall trip to Naples to hike at least one of these?
hit_thetrails
Junior
Junior

I hope they don't close Grimes to the public! Maybe something was going on there that day. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking. We'll be down there in two weeks or so and may have some info on it when we get back.
cbobcat49

The Naples Grape Festival is the final weekend of September, and the first weekend of October is the area artists Naples Open Studio Trail according to the naplesvalleyny website. So if we wanted to make a community trip out of either of those that would be cool. Yeah... I completely forgot... we'll be staying at the Bristol Views B&B for our anniversary the first weekend in September so we'll definitely be roaming around the Naples area then. I'm really curious as to what's happening with Grimes.
hobkyl

Once again Tannery never ceases to amaze me. I love this place. 4 beautiful falls. Out of 7 times I've visited, I've never ran into another soul. And never any trash. A very difficult creek walk but worth every moment of exploring it.

--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook