HDR showcase

Display your photos or the photos of others here. This is also where you'll find the Monthly Photo Challenge.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Mike_K
Junior
Junior
Camera Model: Canon 7D, Canon 20D

I posted my "Edge of the World" shot just to show these schmoes what HDR is supposed to be about. So far it's doing pretty well. Stop by and give it some love. :)
skiboarder72
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Nikon D300, Nikon D50, 18-200mm VR, 11-16mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, SB-600

I'm still yet to embrace the HDR's... I just see it as unnecessary... haven't found a time that I can't capture all the dynamic range with my filters and using exposure techniques
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

How often do you shoot landscapes during a sunny day? that's where it's needed most.
skiboarder72
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Nikon D300, Nikon D50, 18-200mm VR, 11-16mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, SB-600

Matt wrote:How often do you shoot landscapes during a sunny day? that's where it's needed most.
Sometimes I do but with grad ND filters and polarizer's I haven't really had any major issues, the ADR on my camera really helps out as well ( http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d300/dynamic-range.htm )
Matt
President
President

I have a few grad filters, but on an uneven horizon I can't use them. They work great on lakes though. I can easily pick out grad filters when I see photos- especially on uneven horizons.

that Hemlock shot I posted in the other thread is an HDR- taken in the afternoon. There's no way I could have shot that without HDR.

The D300 uses a processing technique akin to chroma induction. Where is that it fixes blown out (or shifted colors in) highlights by pulling down the curve and increasing the saturation. While I find it to greatly over-saturate skies, reds and blues, it's certainly better than blown out highlights. And the over-saturation can be fixed easily.
This same technique can be done in RAW in silkypix .
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

HDR does definately help - especially morning sunrise shots where mountains are just unevenly touched by alpen glow. I've found it works where you also get dappled sunlight - or areas of shade and a beautiful sky you want to grab - like this I shot the other day:

While the 40D did well capturing the range, the HDR just really brought out the sense I was trying to get with the scene. I'm all about filters - but post processing can do things that filters cannot
Matt
President
President

How about a 12 stop HDR?
still working on tweeking some of the micro contrast.... but came out much better than I could have hoped. You can even see the waves in the lake through the stained glass.
rem05749
Junior
Junior
Camera Model: Nikon D90 and D40

Those are all great photos, makes me want to start playing around with HDR. What programs are you using to make them in? I can't afford CS3 anytime soon and the results I have from my current software have been unimpressive, I just can't control enough of the features. I know HDR is good with the exposure of pictures but has anyone played with them for focus. I have pictures that I want to combine where parts are in focus in each different one (all macro shots that I couldn't tell were unfocused on my cameras LCD).