New York City Waterfalls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Waterfall Tale: A Photographer, a Man and a Gun
:wtf:
It was probably not the kind of viewer response that Olafur Eliasson expected for his public art display “Waterfalls.” But this week, a quirky tale of the city unfolded along the waterfront when a Manhattan photographer noticed a man aiming a handgun across the river at the waterfall under the Brooklyn Bridge.
Around 1 p.m. on Monday, the photographer, Bryan Raughton, was walking along the East River from the South Street Seaport to Market Street, chronicling the waterfall under the bridge, one of four locations for the temporary cascades, and the tourists who had come to see it.

Then, through his viewfinder he noticed a man at the water’s edge and the end of a gun.
“He had his arm outstretched, and he was holding it straight out horizontally, with his right hand, and it looked like he was taking aim across the river, like he was going to shoot the waterfall,” said Mr. Raughton, a 35-year-old photographer and concierge at the Pod Hotel.

“And I thought, ” he said. “There was a guy, and the guy had a gun five feet away from all those tourists.” He‘That can’t be good,’ was standing on a sandy embankment near some tourists on an elevated walkway.
“When I said, ‘He has a gun,’ they didn’t seem to understand,” he said.

Mr. Raughton called the police and then took a series of shots that captured the arrival of plainclothes and uniformed police officers to arrest the man at 1:14 p.m. Tourists and passers-by stopped in their tracks.
The man, a 47-year-old homeless man, was arrested on suspicion of weapons possession, the police said on Thursday. The police said the man told them that he had found the 9-millimeter handgun at the waterside. It turned out to be covered with barnacles and was unworkable, the police said.

At first Mr. Raughton had noticed with slight alarm a bag abandoned at the water’s edge. “I was taking photos of a blue bag and my friend said, ‘If you see something, say something.’ ” After they then saw the gun in the man’s hand, they tried to figure out how to give the police directions.

“We were trying to figure out the cross streets at the South Street Seaport,” he said.
“Within five minutes, plainclothes officers were coming out of the woodwork,” he said. It was interesting to see how fast the response time was for a man with a gun. Maybe it’s because of heightened security for the fourth of July.”
“They walked up and made themselves very clear from 20 or 30 feet out that he had to drop the gun,” Mr. Raughton said. “One guy just jumped over the fence. He went right over, and within a second he took the guy down. The guy was really submissive.

“He wasn’t screaming, he wasn’t resisting, it seemed like it came to a screeching halt.”
Mr. Raughton, who lives on Market Street in Chinatown, said he had been chronicling New York City street scenes since 2000.
That day, he took the rest of the day off.

“I decided I was going to go home and just chill.”
Matt
President
President

Seems to be working
City officials say Governors Island has received three times as many tourists this year compared to 2007 figures.

Officials say more than 10,000 people visited the island last weekend, bringing the total number of visitors to nearly 30,000 since the island opened for the summer on May 31.

They say last weekend's interactive art festival and the opening of the New York City Waterfalls are behind the surge.

Free bike rentals are also available on Fridays for the first time this year.

Crowds are only expected to get larger this weekend, when the New York Philharmonic performs a free concert.

Only 11,000 people had visited Governors Island at this point in last year.
http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index.js ... &aid=83322
ShanaD

Okay so I am a little late to join this discussion, but the $15 mill that was spent I believe was raised through private funds. I am totally all for spending money on the arts. The city maybe "supporting it" but are not giving any money towards the project, it can only draw tourism.

I did a project on "The Gates" in Central park and I think that it is a totally different experience than the Waterfalls. I think that "The Gates" brought a more personal experience b/c you could go right up to the panels and how the sun played with the fabric and the shadows of people. The waterfalls are less interactive, I am not really sure what I was expecting to see or experience, when we got there, but it certainly wasn't any Niagara Falls.

I think that the idea behind experiential art is that everyone will have a unique experience when viewing it, and one will never view it the same twice b/c there are so many variables that affect the way you see it. There are the elements of sun and wind there are also certain engineering elements that also come into play as well as the vantage point. Riding the boat was a totally different experience from walking the pier. Seeing them from the car in the wind and seeing them from the pier during a thunderstorm were also different.

Yes, the falls are thin, and being able to see the metal structure scaffolding, can be "distracting" but that is all part of the art. I am not sure what the true vision of the artist was, but being able to see the scaffolding connects nature to the man-made. I know that having the waterfalls come out of man-made structures should have been enough of a connection, but not all the waterfalls came out of landmarks like the bridge.

The falls really seemed to show their stuff at night. B/c the scaffolding is less visiable I think I was able to appreciate their beauty in a differnt way. Thumbs up from me. Too bad that they aren't able to keep this project going until the winter. I would like to see if it could keep going in the cold. But part of experiantial art is that it isn't supposed to last forever in the physical, but only in the experience you felt when you saw it.
Matt
President
President

Kayakers close encounter with NYC Waterfalls nearly proves deadly
Art often imitates life, but Friday art almost claimed two lives.

A pair of kayakers who paddled too close to the New York City Waterfalls installation under the Brooklyn Bridge nearly drowned when swift currents and the falls' suction mechanism capsized their boat, police said.

"I wanted to get a closer look at the waterfalls, and then it sucked us in," said Vladimer Spector, 37, one of the two men plucked from the East River by the NYPD Harbor Patrol.

He and Bert Rosenblatt, 36, were part of a group of real estate developers who left Red Hook for a tour of the falls with the nonprofit Long Island City Community Boathouse.

As they approached the waterfall, they started to lose control of their boat, police said.

"They were too enthralled with the waterfalls," said John McGarvey, one of the outing's coordinators.

By the time the pair realized the power of the water, it was too late.

"I lost my shoes because the current was so strong," said Rosenblatt, who lives in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn, and owns Vicus Partners on Madison Ave. "My life didn't flash before my eyes or anything like that, but I was definitely scared."

The falls were turned off for 15 minutes during the rescue.

Rosenblatt climbed onto a buoy near the barrier until an NYPD boat crew pulled him in. The 4-knot current prevented the boat from getting close to Spector, who was being pulled under and vomiting river water as he clung to the boom that holds the suction mechanism, police said.

After several attempts, cops successfully tossed the New Jersey man a lifeline and pulled him into calmer water before bringing him aboard.

"The current was so strong, he couldn't hold onto the life ring," said Officer Tyren Cook, one of the rescuers. "They had life vests on. If they didn't, they would have drowned."

The men hugged their rescuers and were then taken to New York Downtown Hospital with minor injuries.

Despite the scare, police said there was no risk of actually being pulled into the falls' suction system. Cops tested the system with dummies that were not sucked in.

Still, the NYPD plans to review the current security plan, which includes increased boat patrols and round-the-clock guards at each of the four towers.
http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/bro ... aterf.html
gum16mle

I live in Brooklyn and work as an Industrial Designer. The first time I saw the waterfalls when I was driving to work (on the BQE) I thought to myself "what are they doing? is this some kind of construction project?" When I discovered that the waterfalls were an art project, sponsored by the city, and that they were actually finished I was very disappointed. It looks like scaffolding with water falling off of it, it doesn't look finished and it certainly doesn't look like an artist touched it at all. I take design/art very seriously and get excited when I learn about funded projects for the city, but this has actually made me angry. I thought maybe these will look better when they're lit up at night...wrong. There is no dramatic lighting, no colors, just dim light on a bunch of water falling from a metal structure. I know many people that have traveled to DUMBO and Manhattan to see these waterfalls and have all left disappointed. Yes, you may have brought tourists into these areas, however I don't think many of them are happy with what they've seen.

On another note, I cannot describe the anger I feel (along with fellow Brooklyn residents) towards the cost of these waterfalls. I understand the notion of spending money to make money; bringing in tourists = money, but this missed the mark. The only waterfall that even looks halfway decent is the one under the Brooklyn Bridge and you can't even see it from the Brooklyn side. 15 million dollars? I see red when I think about the project that 15 million dollars produced. If you want to bring more people into the city try fixing the roads a bit first. Take a drive through Brooklyn's pot-hole riddled streets and then tell me that 15 million dollars was well spent on scaffolding that dumps water, which is blown by the wind all over the place. Now everyday I drive to and from work I see these waterfalls and I'm left with a bitter taste in my mouth. New York, please do better next time.
Matt
President
President

I've been holding out on my criticisms because I would like this project to be a success, but as a critic, I would agree with you. They just seem half-assed. I know the artist's goal was to make them blend in with the city, but the placement (all in one section of the city), the construction (visible scaffolding), and most importantly the way the look at night (poorly lit and only lit for about an hour of darkness), makes them a disappointing sight.
If you are in NY, see them, but unless you are a huge fan of waterfalls or public art projects, don't go out of your way.

This is how I would improve upon this artist's design:

1. Spread these across the city. Get tourists to visit different boroughs rather than just pier 17. Make it a scavenger hunt, and people will eat, shop and sight-see along the way.
2. Put them near known landmarks. The Brooklyn Bridge waterfall is quite a site- and the only one that looked halfway decent. There's something about a waterfall coming out of a bridge that gets people's attention. It's out of the ordinary. I'm not familiar with the locations of the other waterfalls. They don't look out of place- they just look like some pipes sprung a leak. What about one along side the Empire State Building? One in Central park? Near one of the various museums?
3. Make them a night attraction. (the dimly lit waterfalls are barely visible- make those suckers glow and don't turn them off at 10pm- if it's a cost thing, shift the hours- they have potential to look spectacular at night). Healthy nighttime tourism increased tax revenue and reduces crime.
4. Hide the scaffolding... these do not look like waterfalls, they look like a construction project gone wrong. Although better placement and night illumination may hide this, during the day they look terrible. Solution: 2 and 5
5. Make each one unique... they are shaped differently... but they pretty much look the same (with the exception of the bridge one). Give each one some character. Different illumination colors, painted scaffolding, brick or wood instead of metal, or even different types of metal. Give us a reason to get close to them.
6. Make them last... If you are going to spend that much money, make them last more than a summer. Invest in good materials... put some thought into the designs. Make them landmarks. Something the city can be proud of- and draw tourists in for years. How about a waterfall in a neighborhood- that is built in the same brick style as neighboring buildings? What about more uner bridges?... making the bridges better tourist draws? These could be the next big thing to do. Combined with # 1 this could bring tourists around the city, spending money on their way.
hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon 7D

I'm thinking of heading down to New York for a daytrip in a few weeks. All depends on if another trip falls through or not. My goal is to actually do some photography of the Brooklyn Bridge and Coney Island (and grab a Nathan's hot dog or two), but I think the only one of these I'd see is the one at the Brooklyn Bridge. They just don't seem that attractive to me and I'm all for arts and such.

Thanks for the honest reviews and posting them. It helps.
My photo blog: P.J.'s look at the world
My regular blog: A 'lil HooHaa
My flickr: HooHaa Photos

"Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast, you also miss the sense of where you are going and why." - Eddie Cantor
Matt
President
President

If you are going to see that one, then you'll see them all- they are all in the same spot.
Take the cirlcle line or water taxi tour- it's worth it. Details on on the main page:
http://www.nyfalls.com/nycwaterfalls.html