Little Things That Piss You Off

The fun forum. Discuss anything here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Sure it's clear, it doesn't mean it's right and it irks me. Some kind of fee, sure I get it. 80% of the booking=gouging. It should be based on the total and a percentage should be assessed, or the standard $9 "cancellation processing" fee. Or in just such this case, since I just checked, and low and behold the campsite I had previously reserved and needed to cancel and lost $36, is now booked (plus over 10 other sites still available) meaning they got paid twice for the same site...I shouldn't be charged one night's stay since they aren't out anything. Life happens regardless of their policy.

Not sure if this is the state's policy-enforced through RA or if it is RA's policy.

I wouldn't even really think twice if the campgrounds around NY State were furnished with newer facilities, but truth of the matter is that most of these campgrounds still have the same bathrooms, pavilions, and playgrounds as when they were established~80 years ago. So where does this free found money go??-I am quite positive that cancellations happen by the hundreds/thousands all summer long across the state.

Oh well. :roll:
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

I charge a cancellation fee regardless of whether I re-book or not too. I get charged for every transaction that I make, whether it's a debit or credit. I doubt that they are exempt from that. They aren't running a charity.

If the facilities aren't being maintained or improved no one is forcing you to reserve there. Perhaps people should complain to the parks dept.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Legally, the establishment is allowed to recoup losses. Not make a profit form missed business.
Call your credit card and see what your options are. They will probably recommend a dispute, for which they will ask RA to show their losses.
Some cards also have "travel insurance" clauses which give you credits for any losses, cancellations, etc.

Brenda's idea is good though, call and complain. Maybe they will just give you a full refund. But at least you sent the message.
Also post online reviews: http://www.epinions.com/webs-Web_Servic ... views?sb=1
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Brenda wrote:They aren't running a charity.
:headshake:, neither am I.
hobkyl wrote:Some kind of fee, sure I get it.

I have no issue with paying some sort of fee for the cancellation to cover costs of booking, cc fees etc. That's supposedly what the $9 is for. Charging me for one night when it gets booked less than 48 hours later? That's when I feel I've been taken advantage of.
Brenda wrote:If the facilities aren't being maintained or improved no one is forcing you to reserve there.

You are right, no one is forcing me to visit the state parks and campgrounds across the state, I choose to do so because I love the natural beauty the state of NY has to offer. I don't know how often you get out camping and around to state parks, but the vast majority that I have visited-are very outdated and in various states of disrepair. Supposedly with $90 million being pumped annually into the parks for the next 5 years-there should be signs of significant improvements, however I won't hold my breath.
Matt wrote:Legally, the establishment is allowed to recoup losses. Not make a profit form missed business.
Call your credit card and see what your options are. They will probably recommend a dispute, for which they will ask RA to show their losses.
Some cards also have "travel insurance" clauses which give you credits for any losses, cancellations, etc.
I'm guessing under the terms of their policy, a dispute would be fruitless. I agreed to the terms when I made the reservation. I used my bank card, so no travel insurance. It was only $36, not a huge deal. Just the principle of it.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President

Illegal telemarketers out in full force because....
National Do Not Call Registry
Due to the Government shutdown, we are unable to offer this website service at this time. We will resume normal operations when the government is funded.

Debido al cierre del gobierno no podemos ofrecer este servicio telefónico en este momento. Nosotros reanudaremos el funcionamiento normal cuando el gobierno este fianciado.
Matt
President
President

Halloween decoration vandals
Matt
President
President

Mom maintains there's nothing wrong with her son's KKK costume

http://now.msn.com/jackson-black-virgin ... -neighbors
A mom in Virginia is drawing heavy criticism over her 7-year-old son's Halloween costume: Jackson Black dressed as a member of the Ku Klux Klan. It's something of family tradition, Jessica Black told WHSV TV — her brother, Jackson's uncle, wore a similar costume when he was a kid. Black said she warned her son that the KKK costume would upset people, but Jackson chose it anyway. When asked why he picked the controversial outfit, he said simply, "Because it was cool." Neighbors were horrified, but Jessica Black said she sees nothing wrong with the costume or the KKK itself, which she says still exists in their hometown of Craigsville. She said she's received threats via Facebook after a photo of her son in the white robes was posted to the news station's page.
One of the many reasons why I hate the south and won't be going there any time soon.
Matt
President
President

Please create a password here. It must be 8-10 characters, not a known word, have at least one lower case and one upper case letter, one number, a special punctuation character, a biblical verse, and 3 drops of blood from when you splice you wrists after giving up trying to figure out why the f*** such a complex and impossible-to-remember password is needed for a ****ing weather website. :frustrated: