Tollgate Falls

Display your photos or the photos of others here. This is also where you'll find the Monthly Photo Challenge.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon 7D

This is the first image I've posted. Got a chance to test the silk look this weekend, finally.

Anyway, these are Tollgate Falls in Delhi. This is also the image I'm posting to my photoblog Monday. These falls are on private land, but I know the owners so have had the opportunity to shoot them. A nice gray sky made it fun. I have a bunch of other shots and angles. I'm hoping come winter when all the leaves are gone, I can get all the way to a footbridge and shoot up and get it all as it's a series of pretty cool shots.

I'll probably have to shoot here again as I know there are a lot of other angles I'd like to try. But Saturday was more of a day of trial and error to see what I could come up with.
My photo blog: P.J.'s look at the world
My regular blog: A 'lil HooHaa
My flickr: HooHaa Photos

"Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast, you also miss the sense of where you are going and why." - Eddie Cantor
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

nice shot and at least you found water, I went to Highland Forest I know of 1 falls there but no water to speak of. :(
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

great shot. I like the shots where the water speads out at it gets closer to the camera. I prefer shots like that.
hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

Thanks for the kudos, much appreciated. I'm going to be posting other shots on my blog that I took that day, so as I process, I'll add a few more here.

It's a neat falls, actually. Water always seems to be running through. There's another set of falls in the area (also on private property), but I should be able to get there. Water is always flowing there and I drove by the other day and they were booming. They have two sets of falls -- one bigger, one smaller with a stream between them. I have some good ideas, just need to get out there and get it done.

Glad I could get that silk look though. After finally doing it myself, I'm really starting to like it a bit more than freezing water when it comes to falls. I really like to still freeze the water, but the silk look is pretty wild.

"Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast, you also miss the sense of where you are going and why." - Eddie Cantor
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

try getting a shutter speed inbetween... about half the time it takes for the water to fall down a drop... I think those types look great, but it's hard to get right.
hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

I'll have to try that for sure. Thing is, to freeze the water you need good light to be able to really speed up the shutter. That's why being able to do both or liking the look of both is kind of nice -- you can adjust to the day and how the weather is!

hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

A few more from Tollgate Falls. Hoping to maybe find a couple more falls in the area Sunday. We'll see what happens!

michael_shake
Junior
Junior

Very nice series of photos. You did an excellent job on every aspect of them.