Whiteman Gully

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Yesterday (June 3rd), we took a trip to check out some falls near Dansville and Hammondsport. It was myself, my wife Julie and her friend Emily. The weather was slightly rainy but we went anyway. First stop was Whiteman Gully near Dansville. According to Roger Hopkins website http://www.naturalhighs.net , there's a lower falls downstream from the bridge and an upper upstream. We checked out the lower first. After about a 1/4 mile walk along a trail next to the creek we came upon a very beautifal falls about 50 feet high. It looked a bit like that tall straight one at Stony Brook. We then went upstream. This looked a lot like Watkins Glen! The creek shoots through a crack no more than 2 feet wide. Upstream from that there's a pretty cool 20 foot falls. There's supposedly more falls upstream from that but we weren't about to climb that falls since the conditions were very slippery because of the rain.

Next we drove through the backroads of the north part of Steuben county to get to Wagener Glen, along Keuka Lake. Another falls I found out about from that website. As soon as we got to the bridge I knew this would have to wait for another day. The creek was so swollen, there was no way we could safely walk in it.

Then we headed down 54A along the shore of the lake to Hammondsport hoping to check out the 100 foot falls in Hammondsport Gorge. There's a spillway type dam just at the entrance to the gorge that was completely backed up so we had to pass on that one too.

Then we went to Damoth's Gully on the other side of town. To get down to the creek, you have to walk a fairly scenic section of the Finger Lakes Trail. Guess what, again, overflowing creek that we weren't about to walk in. We were able to walk the rim of the gorge up aways to get a partial view of the falls. (its about 25 feet high) It was roaring! We've been here before a few years ago but at very low water.

Next, back into Hammondsport for dinner at the Keuka Korner Oasis Diner!

Chris
Last edited by Matt on Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: title
Falzguy

The land around this waterfall is posted by three owners. Please ask permission.
cbobcat49

There was a sign indicating it was a nature or wildlife refuge. Nothing about private property.
cbobcat49

...assuming you're referring to Whiteman Gully.

The trail to Damoths Gully is along the Finger Lakes Trail.
Falzguy

I only saw the posted signs. I took photos as it was easer that wriing the three names down.
cbobcat49

Yesterday we took a trip down to Zoar Valley. Judging by the condition of the creek as we went over the bridge in Gowanda, I had a feeling that it may have been impassable entirely. I had not been to Zoar in 2 years so I noticed a change in the Forty Road parking lot. A new kiosk explaining that you're about to enter a gorge with high walls at your own risk so be careful. And if you encounter a private property sign to turn back. They displayed what one of these private property signs looks like. These must be the new signs that you mentioned in the waterfalltalk email list, Scott.

The creek itself was swift and brown, but room enough to walk along the edge. We went upstream to Deer Lick falls which obviously was flowing great. I got s bunch of good photos here. Continuing upstream we bot to the point where you HAVE to cross the South Branch to proceed further. It did NOT look safe yet people were doing it anyway. Walking across with brown water up to their knees. No thanks. If I can't see the bottom in water that fast I'm not crossing. Even with my Leki pole! So we turned back there.

Scott, just for future reference do you recall approximately where you saw the signs? If memory serves me right I think Deer Lick Sanctuary ends around the hairpin curve and private property after that.

Chris
Falzguy

I thought I would repost this just to keep people up to date.

This is to inform all members of the group that ALL of the waterfalls on private land in Zoar Valley (roughly 35 miles south of Buffalo on the South Branch of Cattaragus Creek) are CLOSED TO ACCESS unless you have permission from the landowner. New York State has put up signs marking the boundaries of the state land. The signs state that going beyond them is trespassing, unless you have permission from the landowner.

Several weekends ago I sat near one of the state signs for about an hour. Seventeen people walked by. The six people talked with did not know they were leaving state land and entering private property. None of them turned around. The last person I talked with said "Yea, what are you going to do? Try and stop us?" He was with three other people. I said no and started on my way back to view the falls on state land. I did see an Environmental Conservation Officer hiking in the state area.

I believe the no access to privately owned waterfalls movement started last year. The state has put up a very large map showing the state lands and a state boundry sign with an explanation about it.

This Memorial Day weekend the state police had a seat belt, inspection sticker checkpoint on Point Peater Road. As I understand it they also warned every driver about the hazards of Zoar (swift water, cliffs) and trespassing.

The think the first sign I noticed was a little past the second hairpin curve, a little NNE of Bear Point. According to property owners, who put up posted signes to keep people off their land, visitors to the area frequently make the signs disapear almost as soon as they're put up. I would think the same happens with the state signs.

Good idea not to cross the creek.
cbobcat49

>make the signs disapear almost as soon as they're put up. I would think >the same happens with the state signs.

I wonder if a good strategy might be to hook up a chain across the creek with posted signs hanging across it. Granted, if someone REALLY wanted to yank that down they would. But it seems like it would drive the point home a bit more. I've seen that done on a few creeks in the area. Pipe Creek where it empties into Cazenovia next to Rt. 240 is one place I can think of.

>Good idea not to cross the creek.

Fast. Brown. Water. My wife was all for crossing but I had no idea what rocks are being shifted about under the water level. One step on one could be a twisted ankle, a fall into the water and get yourself washed downstream for all sorts of fun encounters with other rocks. No thanks! :(