Trenton Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

nvr2low

its a place a little north of utica. its a great place that i used to spend some time at in college when i wasnt into photography. now its privatly owned and closed to the public. they do open one trail a couple times a year but you can only see the falls from an over look a couple hundred feet above. i think that with some help from this site i, or others on this site may be able to gain access to the falls to photography them. I guess i could sneak in on the old trails that we used to use but i know that troopers used to patrol them a few years back so im not sure i want to take the chance.
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Looks interesting.
I found this link...
http://www.paulkeeslerbooks.com/TrentonFalls.html
It's probably a bit too far east for me to make a regular visit.

Chris
nvr2low

i grew up about 8 or 9 miles from there. we used to sneak up there to jump off a few of the falls when i was younger. its a great place, wish they would give more access.
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

It's a shame something like that is privately owned.
I wouldn't risk trespassing. perhaps in the future the land owner will sign these over to a land trust and we'll get access.

Maybe someday in the future NYfalls will be making so much cash off of ad clicks, we'll be have the long lenses and helicopters to photograph these from the air. ;)

can you locate these on Google maps/earth? I'd like to at least get them in the database.
nvr2low

ya, i will find it for you.
nvr2low

dont know what the cordinates are but if you put in trenton falls trenton, ny in google earth it brings you to the bridge at the base of the lowest water fall.
tjconheady
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Canon Powershot S3

mconheady wrote:Maybe someday in the future NYfalls will be making so much cash off of ad clicks, we'll be have the long lenses and helicopters to photograph these from the air. ;)
think it might be cheaper to just pay off the property owner!
TJC

www.conheady.net...a cleaner, less biased, less censored, less-Matted forum
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Thanks for the info, I updated the waterfall database with this.
it looks as though there are plenty of smally falls in the tributaries in this area.

http://www.mcz.harvard.edu/Departments/ ... nintro.htm

Trenton Falls is a geologist's playground which has been inspiring generations of scientists since the early 1800's, and its popularity with non-geologists has been equally astounding. During the mid to late portion of the 19th century, the grand chasm of Kuyahoora, the great "leaping waters" of the Deyoghtararon, was a favorite on the agenda of any traveler in New York. In fact, the popularity of the gorge and the fine accommodations at Moore's Hotel, was in its day greater than that of Niagara Falls.

For nearly 80 years, from 1822 to the end of the 1800's, Trenton Falls was a major tourist attraction and summer retreat for many well-known and influential politicians, writers, and artists. William H. Seward, Governor of New York State and Secretary of State to Abraham Lincoln, often chose Trenton Falls as a vacation site. In 1863 he chose Trenton Falls as the site to host a diplomacy meeting in support of the United States (as opposed to the Confederacy) during the Civil War. Although Trenton Falls resort is no more, this one act is commemorated on a bronze plaque attached to an granite boulder. The plaque reads:

"In commemoration of the visit of Secretary of State William H. Seward and the Diplomats of Seven Nations to Moore's Hotel, August 18, 1863. These Representatives here agreed to advise their Countries against recognition of the Confederacy, a decision which hastened the end of the War between the States."

Looks like you can visit the falls through this: Trenton Falls Scenic Trails
http://www.town.trenton.ny.us/content/Parks/View/4

But it's a shame this is a A-class attraction and they seem to be neglecting the tourism industry in this area.