Tannery Creek

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Fantastic shots, Tex. Your enthusiasm is absolutely infectious!
(A lot of us are on a first name basis around here. Is it okay if I call you Tex until I know if that's your real name?) :mrgreen:
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Great shots Tex. I beat you to the falls, but you beat me to posting :D Hope to see you posting more!

Those are some big kahunas you got. I won't go above those falls unless we are under a dry spell, and I'm probably not cautious enough for my own good. The log used to help, but I'd rather it's not in my photos so-good riddance.

Here's mine from last Wednesday...

Tannery Creek by Kyle Hobart, on Flickr

“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
DouglasRooney
Rookie

Just wanted to give a heads up - I've seen some comments on the listing for this creekwalk on AllTrails alluding to the fact the land may have changed hands, and that the falls may be heavily posted now. A few of the comments:

"Attempted to hike today, as soon as you reach the water there’s a large Posted sign and a property owner was sitting on the trail waiting for trespassers along with a state police car in his driveway. It’s a shame... we were looking forward to checking out this beautiful spot but I guess they intend to keep it to themselves."

"DO NOT GO HERE! In spite of what folks on here are saying, this is on private property. We learned this by driving 30 minutes to be met by the owner of the property 3 minutes upstream, telling us he’d been there for 6 hours turning people away. No part of this hike isn’t on private land, so don’t pay attention to prior recordings!"

"The landowner just recently purchased that land and the mayor is trying to work it out with him. It's a shame when people try to keep nature for themselves."

I would advise against making grand plans surrounding visiting this waterfall - better to visit Grimes, Conklin, or Clark if you're coming to Naples.
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

That's very unfortunate, especially since he would only own the entering portion behind the DPW. The rest of the creek and waterfalls would not be on his property, however access would be extremely difficult (and permission would still be required). But based on what I've seen out and about the last year or so, I don't blame him. I wouldn't want hoards of people showing up, being boisterous, throwing trash in the creek and woods, etc.

This is being played out all over our state and the country. Many Adirondack and Catskills locations are being shut down and or requiring permits. Private landowners closed 2 mountains in the Catskills that were part of the 3500 challenge. Over use and complete disregard to preservation of these areas is going to lead to more and more of this occurring.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook