Cohoes Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Canon 6D

Nice touch of color Kelly.
RickyMac22
Junior
Junior
Camera Model: Canon 7d

Im hoping to shoot these falls in the next couple of weeks. Im assuming once the spring thaw hits the water levels will be too high to access the lower area that was mentioned in the previous posts. Anyone have any tips on where to get good shots of these from?? Also any other waterfalls that are in the area?? My friend lives within like a mile of these falls so Im hoping to be able to get a bunch of photos.
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Canon 6D

Eddie and LGD probably know best, but the small park worked well for me and at this time of the year the vegetation should be minimal for unobstructed shooting. They might let you go down the stairs but I would agree the riverbed is off limits. Check out the waterfall map here on the site to see if there are any others in the area. I think I remember some. Have fun!
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

RickyMac22 wrote:Im hoping to shoot these falls in the next couple of weeks. Im assuming once the spring thaw hits the water levels will be too high to access the lower area that was mentioned in the previous posts. Anyone have any tips on where to get good shots of these from?? Also any other waterfalls that are in the area?? My friend lives within like a mile of these falls so Im hoping to be able to get a bunch of photos.
There may still be snow on the ground depending when you get here. I'm not sure the upper park is open, depends whether it's been shoveled out or not, or if just foot traffic over the winter has packed the snow enough to make it accessible. The main park may or may not be open as well, and the lower section with access to the river bed is most definitely not open, I would think.

There are a few waterfalls in the area, but again, snow may make access difficult. Most of Thacher Park I'm sure is still under a foot or more. And most of the falls will be frozen even if you could get to them.
LGD
RickyMac22
Junior
Junior
Camera Model: Canon 7d

L_G_D wrote: There may still be snow on the ground depending when you get here. I'm not sure the upper park is open, depends whether it's been shoveled out or not, or if just foot traffic over the winter has packed the snow enough to make it accessible. The main park may or may not be open as well, and the lower section with access to the river bed is most definitely not open, I would think.

There are a few waterfalls in the area, but again, snow may make access difficult. Most of Thacher Park I'm sure is still under a foot or more. And most of the falls will be frozen even if you could get to them.
ya I probably wont be up there until next month sometime so hopefully the snow has melted by then.
Sibus

Cohes waterfall

Picture took on july 2015
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Nice, excellent color! I've been meaning to get back to these but haven't had the chance lately.
LGD